Tuesday, August 29, 2006

San Francisco


I’m back and I had a wonderful weekend in San Francisco. It felt so good to get away from my routine and to be a tourist! I am sorry to say that I was having so much fun that I didn’t take a single picture. Yep, I carried that camera around in my purse all weekend without ever using it. Oh, well… I've searched the internet for some pictures of some of the things I saw and links to some of the places we went.

When I arrived on Saturday afternoon, Teresa and I went over to Hayes Valley for lunch at a little Belgian café (can’t remember the name now) and some window shopping – all the while keeping up the girl talk. We then headed over to Union Street for more shopping, and we happened upon Wee Scotty where we met the owner, Frank, and enjoyed quite a conversation with him. I loved his Scottish brogue. Before heading back to her apartment to meet up with Toby, we stopped for cappuccino and a little something sweet late in the late afternoon (that’s a tradition of ours) at Bay Bread.

For dinner that night, Teresa made reservations for us at Garcon. She knows how much I love French food! We started off our dinner with a kir and a little cheese platter. Yum! I ordered the lamb shank for dinner and we shared a tarte tartin for dessert. Okay, I don’t even want to know how many calories I ingested this weekend! My only saving grace was that we walked a lot.


Sunday morning, we ventured over to Chinatown for dim sum and shopping. We enjoyed delicious dim sum at City View, found some darling slippers and other items at Asian Image, and learned a lot about tea and life from Uncle Gee at Vital Tealeaf. Yes, that’s right, I now have a Chinese uncle. What a character Uncle Gee is! I went in there thinking I’d purchase some tea, but he wouldn’t let me unless I tried some first. We sat at his tea bar for close to an hour while we learned about tea, and other things! What a hoot!

We then found a wine bar in another part of the city called Vino Venue, where we sipped a glass of rose sparkling wine and nibbled on cheese, dates, and dried apricots.

For dinner, Toby, Teresa, and I tried out a Sardinian restaurant they’d heard about. Teresa and Toby had traveled to Sicily, where Teresa’s family is from, earlier this summer, and they wanted to taste the flavors of their trip again. We shared a nice bottle of Italian wine, a seafood appetizer, and flatbread pizzas. It was delicious, but I was so full… I went to bed on a very full stomach.


Then yesterday, Teresa and I had a simple, healthy breakfast (really, we did!) at Café de la Presse before walking through Chinatown again, then down to the Ferry Building. I love the Ferry Building and like going there each time I’m in the city. I found some wonderful books about the history of Chinese immigration in California for my classroom at Book Passage, and we had lunch at the Hog Island Oyster Company. We sat outside for lunch and had a beautiful view of the bay and the Bay Bridge. We sipped more sparkling wine, while enjoying oysters on the half-shell, a delicious salad, and some incredible sourdough bread.


The last thing we did before heading back to the airport was to take a streetcar back up to Union Square for a little more shopping. At that point, I was on sensory overload. The sights and the sounds of the city had saturated me and I was tired and ready to head home.

I truly enjoyed my time with Teresa and Toby. It’s good to have friends who are so easy to be with and who are such gracious hosts. I’ve never had a bad time with them.

And now, I will be eating nothing but vegetables and drinking nothing but water for the rest of the week to compensate for all the eating we did over the weekend!

21 Comments:

  • At 11:20 AM, Blogger Connie said…

    What a wonderful time! You're making me want to get back to SF even more. I was there in '98 and LOVED it. If only I could afford to live there ;0) Yikes!

    PS - Amazon must be a subsidiary of the CCAA. I ordered something for you long ago to celebrate your LID. It was backordered and they just sent me a message that it is backordered again...expect it mid-October. I'm getting far to used to this kind of thing ;0)

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Blogger Doris & Dan Clark said…

    Wow! Sounds like a wonderful trip. Full of fun times and good food. Num num!

    Welcome home!

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous terri said…

    One of my favorite places and I *always* gain weight! Always. One time I gained TEN pounds over a weekend.

    I miss it--thanks for sharing your trip!

     
  • At 3:14 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    Welcome home!!! Sounds like you had such fun!

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    Sounds like a great time!! A trip is a wonderful diversion during this wait. Here's to more trips!!:)

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger Krista said…

    What a great time. Sounds like you had fun. And now I'm hungry.....

     
  • At 4:49 PM, Anonymous kayce said…

    Isn't the City the BEST!!! I'm a southern Cal girl born and bread, but when I moved to the bay area I fell in LOVE with San Francisco! If you're ever here again...we'd love to meet up!

     
  • At 5:14 PM, Blogger tracy said…

    It sounds so lovely. I hope you had a nice relaxing time.

    Welcome back to the waiting reality.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Amy said…

    Looks like you had a great weekend and a much needed break! Keeping up with you as you wait! Amy

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Kim M. said…

    Glad you had fun. I've always thought if I made it to the West Coast San Fran is where I would go. Love the photos.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Kathy and Joel said…

    Sounds like you had a great time and your pictures are beautiful! Joel and I have always want to go to SF and when I showed him the pictures he said that we had better go before we go to China...should I get my hopes up?? Thank you so much for sharing and welcome home!

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Jennifer "Jenny" said…

    Sounds like a wonderful trip!!

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Thanks for sharing about your week end. I almost felt like I was there. You sampled quite an vairety of foods and wines- yummy. What kind of tea did you decide on from Uncle Gee?

     
  • At 12:14 PM, Blogger Dawn, Brian & Guinness said…

    Glad that you had such a great time! I absolutely adore San Francisco!! My favorite S.F. meal is the homemade clam chowder in a sour dough bread bowl that you get on the pier..... YUM!!!! Love the pics too!!

    ~Dawn

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Kristen said…

    Welcome Back!!! Wow you packed more into a weekend than I have done the whole summer. Sounds like you had a fantastic time.

     
  • At 9:05 PM, Blogger Shandra said…

    Welcome back to the blog world. Sounds like SF treated you well.

     
  • At 9:12 PM, Blogger Elise said…

    Glad you had a little vacation before heading back to school. Looks like you had a great trip!!!

     
  • At 9:25 PM, Blogger Katherine said…

    Sounds like a perfect weekend!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Wicked Witch said…

    Isnt SF the best? I lived there in grad school #1 and I loved being there. I could walk there all day.

     
  • At 7:41 PM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Oh, wow, you really did it up!! And, you are a Francophile? Cool. Have you been to Chez Panisse? Alice Waters is my hero!! I wish that I would have found your site & connected with you sooner b/c I am in the Bay Area - could've gone for a cup of coffee or something? Oh well, sounds like you make up here from time to time. Maybe another time?

    I'll bet the Dim Sum was incredible!

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said…

    Hey, you were up my way! Looked fun!
    Lisa

     

Post a Comment

<< Home