Friday, February 24, 2006

New Day, Big Change

I talked with the coordinator at VDM today, and she was going to start looking for a new SW for me. I asked her to tell any prospective SW that I wanted to be DTC in June, and therefore have the HS done in approximately six weeks. She told me that was impossible. She said that VDM tells clients that they do HS in 8-12 weeks and that I should have known that. She said that information is on something she sent me - never saw it... I told her that wasn't going to work for me and that I would need to find another agency. I asked for my $500 application fee back, but was told that it's not refundable. I made the decision to work with another agency anyway. I wish I'd known what questions to ask before I wrote them that check. I could have avoided this whole thing and not wasted the month of February (or $500). The colleague at school who has adopted twice said it's better to have lost that $500, than to continue working with them if they can't work with my goal in mind. I know there are a lot of things about this process that I can't control and a lot of things that will keep me waiting, but I don't think a SW and a HS should be what holds me up.

So then, I called Adoption Options in San Diego county. I've heard good things about them from another AWAA family. They answered my questions to my satisfaction. They think it's reasonable to be DTC in June and that a HS can be done quickly. The application is on its way. I'm hoping to get things going with them in the next ten days, or so. I will be FedEx-ing EVERYTHING to them. That's a lesson learned!

I also talked with AWAA and they've heard nothing that would validate those rumors that got me going yesterday. Whew!

All this while correcting 62 spelling and science tests, teaching how to add mixed numbers, and conferencing with several students about their writing. How do I do it? ;-)

5 Comments:

  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Eliza2006 said…

    Good for you! I got a good laugh at the fact that you were teaching while arranging all of this. I think I did the whole paperchase while teaching!

    Tiffany

     
  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    Wow! I'm glad you were able to quickly get started with another agency. My agency "prioritized" me because they knew I had dealines as a single with my china agency. They can arrange to expedite people, although I guess everyone wants to move forward quickly. What a relief to know you can get going!

     
  • At 4:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Good for you. I agree with your friend that it is better to have gotten out of the situation with the first agency now, instead of being halfway through the process and unhappy.

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    Sorry to hear of the HS agency fiasco but sounds like you are on track now!! Yes FED-EX is the way to go!! You can check the status of the letter at any time and feel somewhat in control!!

    Mariah

     
  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Puddin' said…

    Oh, I'm sorry you had such a hard time with VDM. I totally agree with you and I admire your persistence in getting what you want and need! You go, Girl!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home