Sunday, March 26, 2006

Grammy's Gift

I was up so early yesterday morning. It's hard to sleep in when the sun comes up so early. I put the extra time to good use by working on my financial statement. I then took that and a couple other documents to be notarized. On a roll now, I drove down to the LBPD to request a clearance letter. I wish I hadn't followed the directions given to me on the Rand McNally website - they took me through the hood! I should have just gone up Ocean Boulevard - much safer and more scenic.

After all that work, I called my mom to see if she'd go to Bergstrom's with me on Sunday, but she suggested we go right then. If you're not in The O.C., Bergstrom's is like Babies R Us, but I prefer it. I used to think they were expensive, but the more research I've done on what baby stuff costs, I've realized how competitive they are. They carry some things that Babies R Us doesn't, and they have a larger selection of cribs and bedding. We were just going to look - because it's so fun to look at baby stuff. But we lingered over a bedding set that we'd seen there in January, and mom offered to purchase it. My mom is a wonderful and generous grandmother. She is devoted to my two nieces, and she's so excited about Jillian.

I love the set - Vintage Floral - because it has an old fashioned feel to it, and it matches the color - Benjamin Moore, Cedar Key - on the walls of the baby's room very nicely. In addition to purchasing a crib sometime early next year, mom and I are on the lookout for an antique highboy dresser. We'll have it painted white, if necessary, and add some appliques to it. I'd also like to have a ceiling fan and crown molding installed in that room.

Today, I've got to focus on the tasks for my new class - Instruction and Assessment for Diverse Classrooms. Sounds like fun, huh? But my mom said that if I get an A in this class too, then we'll go shopping again!

p.s. I just wanted to mention that my dad is devoted and generous with all of us, too. He doesn't go in for the shopping, but he works hard so that we can. Thanks, Dad!

8 Comments:

  • At 4:33 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    I love the pattern! Katie's bedding is really similar. : )

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Wow, you are making a lot of progress on your paperchase! Don't you love the warm fuzzy feeling you get in a baby store!?!?

     
  • At 7:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    What a beautiful pattern! And you are very lucky to have such a loving Mom. My Mom passed away ten years ago, but she would have been the same way. My Dad makes up for it by spoiling me rotten. He is very excited to be adding a second grand-daughter from China to the family.

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    Beautiful set! When we adopt, I am going to go with pink...there is not a pink item in my house right now! ;) As an added bonus, the pink color will almost certainly keep my boys away from her room.
    By the way, I am so impressed by how you are doing something almost every day for your paperwork, AND teaching, AND doing your graduate work! You are an inspiration!

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    I love the bedding and I had the walls in my old house painted in Cedar Key!!! I loved that color. Like a kaiki, like a gray, warm but not too dark.

    Good luck with the dresser.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    So Pretty!

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Joey, you are too funny. I love that you read my blog!

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger glo said…

    Hi Tell your mom I understand the excited grandma part. The whole thing is just miraculous even though there is that paper chase and all that waiting!!! Hoping your paperwork goes smoothly and the waiting quickly. I have just subscribed to bloglines and entered your blog in my list. It will be so much easier to watch what is happeningnow and keep track of all "my little families" along for the adoption journey.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home