Friday, March 31, 2006

HR 1561

I've recovered fully from my temper tantrum (see below).

I put my energies to better use tonight by vacuuming up two weeks' worth of dog hair, revising my financial statement, and writing letters in support of HR 1561. Before I explain the latter, let me just say that those revisions to my financial statement resulted in a big difference of approximately $500. Whatever...

HR 1561 is the Childhood Adoption Act of 2005. I did a little research on the act, and it was introduced last April and not much has happened with it since then. Here's what the act would do: it would increase the dollar limitation on the tax credit for qualified adoption expenses from $10K to $15K, make the credit permanent, and repeal the five year limitation on carryforwards for unused credits.

As an adoptive parent in the making, I can tell those of you who haven't gone through the process that it is very costly. This revision to the tax code would really help to offset the expense and lessen the hardship and debt that often accompany the adoption process. As a single teacher, I can vouch for that!

If you want to do something to support those of us on this journey of adoption, write your senators and representative to tell them that you support HR 1561.

Next time I'll post some pictures of cute baby clothes I picked up yesterday. This week required retail therapy! ;-)

2 Comments:

  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger M3 said…

    Hey nothing wrong with a good temper tantrum - it's therapeutic, right? *grin*

    Sorry you had to do all that extra paperwork, it's no fun.

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Blogger glo said…

    Retail therapy....Oh what a good idea. Glad you are feeling better now. I might try that therapy today myself!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home