Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Remarkable and Tragic

My Aunt Patricia and Uncle Jack just returned from a couple of weeks in China. They traveled with a group from their church and visited several of the orphanages their church sponsors.

I talked with my aunt this afternoon and she told me the most remarkable and sad story.

On their last day in China, shortly before they were to go to the airport, they were walking near a train track. I don't know what city they were in. They noticed a toddler girl standing right by the train tracks. My aunt said the little girl's feet were nearly touching the tracks. Fifty people walked by and didn't stop to help her. So my aunt and uncle, and another woman in their group approached this little girl and picked her up. My aunt thinks she was between 15 and 18 months old. She was beautifully dressed and was clutching something in her hand that she wouldn't give up when my aunt tried to take it from her.

My aunt and uncle and the other woman took the little girl to security. Their Chinese guide told them she would be taken to a police station and her parents would be sought, but it is unlikely that they would be found. Eventually, she would be taken to an orphanage.

Why did so many people walk by and not notice this little girl all by herself? My aunt and uncle were told it's because if any of the Chinese had done so, they might have been expected to keep her.

Why was she dressed so well if she was being abandoned? My aunt said she was told that oftentimes the mother-in-law will take the child while the mother is away and leave her like that.

I'm just struck by the irony of the whole situation. Here they were visiting orphans, who at some point had been abandoned by their families, and then they witness an abandonment scene like that. I don't know what more to say.

11 Comments:

  • At 5:44 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    That just brings tears to my eyes... especially the part of her holding something that she wouldn't let go of... it is too too cruel! Poor little girl... let's pray that she was merely lost and that she is reunited with her loving family... no matter how unrealistic, that is what I am hoping for...

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Me too, Kristin...

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    That is so so sad! My heart breaks for that little girl, and for her Mother if it turned out she wasn't able to be returned to her. Gosh, everything makes me want to cry these days. The world can be a sad place. *Sigh*

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    I am so sad, but so thankful that your family was there at the time. Wow, I gotta go kiss my kids,

    Jenny

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger Eliza2006 said…

    Wish I could just say, "I'll take her!" If it were only that easy.

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Holy Wow! I know that most of our daughters were done so, but it is still heart wrenching to read it. May she be blessed with a family that loves and cherishes her. ~ Fran

     
  • At 5:22 PM, Blogger j.sterling said…

    what if that's common practice?!?!? how sad and so scary and just so mean. :(

     
  • At 7:33 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    It's Just not fair.....

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    To actually see something like that, rather than just know about it, makes what you are doing all the more emotional and real. I am praying for you, and for that little girl and others like her!

     
  • At 4:56 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Oh my, that poor little girl. That is such a sad story that so many people never even stopped. I'm sure that experience will always stay with your aunt for the rest of her life. I just can't imagine what it would be like to see it happening.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    I don't even know what to say. What a heart wrenching story.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home