Thursday, May 25, 2006

Life is Uncertain (Eat Dessert First?)

What a week... Referrals are coming in for a lucky few and rumors are swirling about China's intentions from here on out. I'm so happy for the families who are receiving their referrals and the families who are preparing to leave next week to meet their daughters. I mentioned the referrals to my class today, and one of my students said he'd like to get on the computer to see those pictures!

Anyway, back to the uncertainty theme I eluded to in the title of this post. It sounds like China is getting ready to announce some changes to their international adoption program. People are speculating that it will effect those applicants who are seriously overweight, have some skeletons in their closet, or possibly single applicants. I do know that my agency sent out an email a couple days ago that addressed the slowdown and encouraged those of us in the paperchase to hurry up and get our dossiers submitted. It made me wonder what the outcome of this journey will be.

I have wanted a family ever since I was a little girl. My role model was my mother who was a SAHM. I thought that's what little girls did when they grew up - marry and have babies. Instead, I've become way more educated and independent than I ever thought I would be, which is a good thing, but I just never thought this is what my life would be like at 38. I've waited for my Mr. Right to help me make that dream of having a family a reality, but once I couldn't wait anymore I decided to adopt. I have been working so hard and making sacrifices so that this can happen. I would just be devastated if China decided that they didn't want to give their babies to single women like me.

While we all wait for China to let us in on their plans, I keep checking my mailbox for that I-171H. No I-171H, no DTC...

11 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Katherine said…

    What a hard thing to be anticipating, especially when you don't know what the outcome will be.

    I'm also single and in my thirties, and my vision for what shape I thought my life would take has changed significantly over the years. I can't say whether it a good/bad thing, only different from the answer I wrote in fourth grade: When I grow up I want to be a kindergarten teacher and have five kids. Well...

     
  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    It will happen for you!! I think what you are doing is amazing! Being a mom is so much better than anything...even being with "Mr. Right". ;)
    What about Vietnam? I have friends who worked there and loved it, and I heard through my agency (no I am not an official applicant yet, but I have "stay in touch" friends there) that the new program is really good, and very quick! It is also extremely similar to China's program, and the babies are younger. Go to www.planlovingadoptions.org and read about it if you are interested. :)
    As for what you thought your life would be, well, I just tell my kids not to really plan their futures at all...LOL

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Jenny said…

    It will happen Joannah. I really doubt that China would close doors like that. Besides, Katie Mei needs a friend! : )

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Jannine said…

    Joannah:

    I am also single, adopting from China, and just got my log-in date about 2 weeks ago. You are so close. It looks like it is going to be a long wait for all of us, but you will be in good company. I will send all my good thoughts your way for a fast I-171H. Keep the faith.

    J in Colo.

     
  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger Eliza2006 said…

    Hang in there girly! It's not over till the fat lady sings...ummm not funny considering the latest rumors, but I couldn't resist!

    Tiffany

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Blogger glo said…

    Hang in there. you can offer a child everything she needs. My guess is you do not have a problem getting your little girl other than time. So you can actually probably have quite a lot of dessert. That's not all bad.

     
  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    You are using AWAA as well correct? So I can throw in God? :) Have faith and rest in the knowledge that He has the perfect plan for you and your daughter. Blessings Amy

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    You know, these are just rumors. You can't worry about what may or may not be true. Just try (I know that it is hard) to keep a positive attitude. I am totally keeping my fingers crossed that you are DTC soon!q

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Puddin' said…

    I'm sure it will be here soon! Maybe today?! ;-)

     
  • At 5:09 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Stay the course! This *will* happen. Come on I171!!

     
  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Oh Joannah I know how you feel and well-remember those anguished feelings until the 171 arrived. Try not to think about the rumors or what may not happen. One day at a time, step by step, we'll get through this journey to parenthood together! Sending hugs your way!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home