Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day


Like a lot of Americans, I usually take Memorial Day for granted and enjoy it as the start of summer and a three day weekend. But this Memorial Day, I'm thinking about the day I spent at the American Cemetary in Normandy, France last summer. The rows upon rows of grave markers were beautiful and eerie at the same time. It was so still there. So many young men sacrificed everything for the welfare of their country and to free those oppressed by the evil forces of the Nazis.

We walked on the beach at Omaha where numerous French families were enjoying a perfect summer day splashing in the waves and picnicing on the beach. My brother-in-law pointed out how flat and wide the beaches were. How it was through sheer numbers the American forces were able to overcome the Germans entrenched on the cliffs above.

We walked through the battlefield at Point du Hoc, and saw the remains of the German bunkers - cement bunkers and gun stations dug deep in the earth and protected with barbed wire. The land there is forever scarred.

Today I remember the artifacts I saw last summer that speak of the sacrifices those soldiers made, and I appreciate the sacrifices that have been made in the more recent past by others serving and protecting our country.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    So true! We can't forget the price that has been paid for us.

     
  • At 10:20 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Well stated!

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Your trip certainly allowed for an amazing experience.

     
  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    I've been to the DDay beaches as well and they are amazing. Beautiful! I can't believe our Men had to face those cliffs! I remember thinking "how did anyone get up here!?!?" My hubby is Army so I really appreciate posts like these. People tend to forget what sacrifices are made for our freedom!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home