Friday, May 12, 2006

Teacher Appreciation Week



The first week of May is technically Teacher Appreciation Week, but in my district that's state testing week. So, we hold out for the second week of May. My class was so thoughtful this week. I recieved many bouquets of flowers, body lotions, shower gels, gourmet teas, pretty notecards, a hand knitted scarf (stunningly beautiful), and at least $50 in Starbucks gift cards. I do enjoy the students' generousity!

Furthermore, the PTO held a really lovely luncheon for us on Wednesday. They had a theme of A Day at the Races. The food was delicious and the decorations were so creative. Our PTO is run by some amazingly devoted and energetic parents.

A side note for those of you with kids or those of you who will have children one day - there are some gifts that are more pleasing to most teachers than others, and it has nothing to do with how much you spend. Gifts I really enjoy are gift cards, because even if the amount is small I can use them whenever I want and put them towards something I'd like to have. Favorite gift cards amongst my peers and I are Starbucks, Blockbuster, and Barnes & Noble. Oh, and movie tickets and carwash certificates are great gifts, too.

I strongly suggest you don't purchase lotions and shower gels unless you're certain that the teacher really likes that scent and/or doesn't have an allergy to that product. I can't tell you how many lotions I've not been able to enjoy because the scent was too strong for me.

Gifts I don't usually appreciate are teacher themed jewelry, clothing, or home decor. I don't dress like that and I don't decorate my house like that either. But, if your child's teacher frequently wears things like that, then it's probably okay.

Lastly, a homemade card with a sincere statement of appreciation and a bunch of flowers from your garden are always appreciated. It's the thought that counts!

4 Comments:

  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    AMEN on the teacher-themed items! I know a lot of teachers, and none of them decorate their homes in a "bus-apple-ruler" theme. ;) There may be one teacher out there who DOES decorate like that, but gosh, I sure hope not. And if I were to wear all the teacher pins I've received over the years at once, I would keel over from the sheer weight of them.

    Of course, I do have my CLASSROOM tree, which I explained about here:
    http://shmoo2.blogspot.com/2005/12/teachers-tree.html

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Wow, that was really sweet and generous of your students! I am in a Title 1 school and Teacher Appreciation week is pretty much admin driven. We got a half hour "spa party" and then a lunch of fried chicken, collards and bread pudding! (Ok, I live in the south!) One student did give me a small candle and another a paper bag of gum, mints, tissue pack and anti-bac gel. That was clever! Despite the lack of "shown" appreciation, my students are the best! =) And I mean that...even if I *am* counting down the days til vacation!

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Thanks for the tips - I file them away for future reference! I've always wondered who buys those apple-bus themed teacher products!!!

     
  • At 2:21 AM, Blogger Link From Blog said…

    pfpGreat blog, great story for reading!
    http://www.jewelrygreatgift.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home