Saturday, May 27, 2006

Thanks, I Needed That!

Thanks to those of you who left me such supportive comments in response to my last post. I'm back on the band wagon of optimism and hopefulness. That I-171H is going to show up soon, I'll wrap this paperchase up and be DTC next month - anyway that's my plan.

I think I'm just weary. It's the end of the school year and there are a million things that need to be done - meetings about students who might be retained, class building for next year, cumulative folders, archival portfolios, final assessments, grades, report cards, and packing up and moving to a new classroom. I'm feeling overwhelmed. I always do this time of the school year, but somehow it always gets done.

I'm also working on two papers for my master's class that are due by Wednesday night. So, while I'd rather be relaxing and enjoying the overcast weather (seriously, it's supposed to be cloudy all weekend) I'll be attached to my iBook.

One more thing about last week...

On Wednesday night we held our Open House at school. My students and I had worked very hard to prepare our classroom for the night - it was sparkling clean and decorated with their art and writing. I think it was a real feast for the eyes. It was great to see my students with their families - they were little tour guides. I even got to see several former students of mine who are middle schoolers. That's always a treat. And I saw a family whose daughter was in my very first fourth grade class at another school in the district ten years ago. Their youngest is entering fourth grade in the fall and he attends my school. He was just a newborn back then. His sister has just completed her first year of college. Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a real honor to see these kids grow up and to be connected to their families in this way. I can't imagine doing anything else professionally with my life.

9 Comments:

  • At 8:25 AM, Blogger Paulette said…

    Our time line is very close I am just one step behind you. We have a lot in common, school teachers, taking master classes, single. I have added your blog to my list of favorites on my blog to keep track of your progress. Good luck hope we meet in China with our baby girls.

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    Oh I can relate! I loved Open House, but it was exhausting! Now on to assessments, cum files, report cards, end of year parties and field trips, etc, etc!

     
  • At 4:10 PM, Blogger Eileen said…

    Glad you're feeling more optimistic again Joannah. I hope your I-171H comes very soon! The end of the paperchase is agonizing - you just want to get those papers to China and get logged in! Pulling for you!

     
  • At 3:55 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    You're almost there! I remember stalking the mail man as I waited for the 171. Hang in there. I know . . . easier said than done! :) Amy

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I LOVE the end of the school year. So exciting (and crazy!) I also love the *beginning* of the school year! It's the middle that's tough! I know what you mean about seeing these students grow, mature and become successful. It truly is an amazing profession! But it always is nice to finish off a year! =) Good luck as you complete all your tasks.

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    Thanks for your kind words today! :) Amy

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    I love your positive upbeat attitude. Too many folks frown as it is. Smiles are worth their weight in gold, especially when we seem to be having trouble finding our end of the rainbow...

    Teachers hold a special place in my heart. My family is loaded with those in the education field. I began as a teacher myself.

    What you all do for our children is beyond imagination. Bless you all and I mean that... Thank you teachers for taking the hands of our children and teaching them with your hearts and guiding them with your hands of kindness and strength. Teachers are too often the unsung heros of taking our children and shaping them into fantastic young men and women...

    Don't ever forget just how special you are.

     
  • At 3:04 PM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    Ford was the one who left the earlier comment (usually he leaves his name so you can tell which one of us is commenting). He was a teacher and is a great father, grandfather and a DH. Please do not judge us by the movies he places on our blog; he has a sense wit and humor that is beyond me! I am like you - a movie with violence is not going to get my money! Thanks for visiting our blog and commenting.

    Alyson

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    I had a mom invite me to her "last day of school" pool party. She couldn't understand why I said I would be too exhausted to come!
    I think the general public thinks we play games and watch movies for the last week or two of school. Then, of course, we go straight home and lie around in the sun all summer. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home