Monday, August 21, 2006

I Forgot to Take a Picture...

...of all the crap I cleared out of my new classroom today! But it looked a little like this:

Actually, it looked worse! If you'll recall, I've moved into the classroom that belonged to a teacher who retired at the end of the school year, and he never threw anything away. The dumpster at my school is overflowing with junk I cleared out today, and there's still more sitting outside my classroom door. But I can happily report that I have removed all traces of clutter and obsolete materials from the room itself.

My mom came by and helped me with cleaning as the dust and grime is very thick, and we took a nice lunch break together. Thanks, Mom!

Tomorrow I will return to organize my belongings and arrange the furniture. Then next week I will decorate the walls and prepare the students' materials. That classroom is going to shine!

10 Comments:

  • At 4:28 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    I know the feeling of purging a classroom. It is not a fun job! There is nothing better than a clean room to start the year! Enjoy what's left of your summer!

     
  • At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Joannah...
    Would be happy with an "after" pic.
    Love, Mary L.

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Wow, you threw out lots of his stuff at the end of the last year too! They should require a totally clean class before you leave or charge you...like landlords! =)
    That classroom is going to be gorgeous!

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Good for you.

    It feels good to 'de-crap' a room. Please do show us the 'after' when it is ready for the kiddos!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    Doesn't it feel wonderful! I found curriculum with layers of dust on it! I got to put it outside my classroom door with a note on it that said, "garbage". Thank goodness I didn't have to haul it to a dumpster! My room has to be shiny by next Monday. :)

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    There is something really freeing about throwing a bunch of crap away, esp. when it isn't yours. Great therapy!

     
  • At 7:47 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    I was cleaning my classroom today too, but it was my own dirt and clutter!

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    That's what is on my agenda for tomorrow too. Doesn't it feel good to start the school year out in a sparkling clean room?

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Jenny said…

    You did it Joannah!!! Yay! Oh my word, I bet you have some fun stories about what you found in there....lol!!

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    I'm glad you have such a wonderful Mom who helped you with that gigantic mess- aren't Mom's the best?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home