Monday, August 14, 2006

Pageant of the Masters


Last night my parents treated the whole family to a night at the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach. This is an amazing, annual summertime event in which famous pieces of art are recreated with live people! It really is a pageant in that the show moves along fairly quickly from one piece to the next. A full orchestra provides the soundtrack for the pageant and an MC narrates each piece. We saw recreations of Norman Rockwell, Vincent Van Gogh, Sargeant, and the Last Supper just to name a few. The pictures below are from previous pageants, but I wanted to give you an idea as to how this is done. Before you enter the amphitheater, there are many booths with local artists showing their works, live music, and food vendors. The location of the pageant is less than a mile inland from the beach. On the hillside above the stage, there are multi-million dollar homes. The sky was clear last night and we could see the constellations. It was a wonderful evening!



9 Comments:

  • At 10:11 AM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Wow, That looks really neat!

     
  • At 11:33 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    I have heard of those events. Must have been wonderful to experience!

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    A christian college in my town does a similar exhibit during Easter that tells the story of Christ's death and resurrection with "live" religious artwork replications and it is very cool! Sounds like a great evening with your family!

     
  • At 4:37 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    What a cool idea! I've never seen anything like that before.

     
  • At 8:59 PM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Oh, I love the pageant! I haven't gone for the past couple of years, but had a friend who was in it. It is an amazing show and a perfect summer night event. And you couldn't have asked for better weather last night. Lucky girl!

     
  • At 3:17 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    Those are amazing. I would love to see one someday.

     
  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Having lived in Orange County I am familiar with the pageant. It is amazing! It must be very hard to get a 'spot' in it, but to be made up into a character in a painting would be so cool!

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ugh, I'm so bummed to miss it. It is truly amazing in person. Glad you had fun!

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh how I miss Laguna!!! I used to go every year until I moved to NorCal....Thanks for posting the pics...I needed that!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home