Friday, September 22, 2006

Dumb Parents

They're back! Dumb parents! Ack!

This morning I was approached by a parent who wished to conference with me "right after school" about his son's low grades. This was, of course, right as the bell rang and I was lining up my students before entering the classroom. I agreed to meet him "right after school".

Well, right after school this parent was nowhere to be found. I waited for twenty five minutes before giving up and leaving. In the meantime, I was stuck there with the student's grandmother, the student, and his little brother who was running roughshod all over my classroom. I finally told him that going into another teacher's classroom was like visiting another person's house, and that you don't make yourself at home there right away.

After twenty minutes of this delightful waiting, making small talk with Grandma, and watching the little brother run all over the place, I gave Grandma a quick rundown on what I percieve the student's problem to be, made some suggestions for things they could start doing at home to help him, and sent them on their way.

Parents everywhere, asking your child's teacher for a conference because you're concerned about their progress does not make you a good parent. Showing up for the conference on time, listening to the teacher's input, thanking the teacher for her time, then going home and having a serious discussion with your child about your expectations for their behavior and their grades makes you a good parent.

Enough said!

17 Comments:

  • At 4:58 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    So it has been so eloquently said: 'You can't fix stupid'

    Sad, but seems to be true.

     
  • At 5:40 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Oh, Joannah! So sorry that your time was not valued today. I cannot tell you how many of those "conferences" I have been asked for, only to have them not show up or show up, but only talk about all the excuses why they cannot help their child at home (working late, too busy with hockey, etc.). Sigh...TGIF!!!

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Oh I've so been there, too! Yesterday, 3 separate parent conferences were no shows. Today one of them called and requested a make-up appt. after 4:30. School ends at 2:15. Most of the teachers *try* and go home by 4 since we've been there since 6:45. And for them to be parent requested and then not show/not call... TGIF!! =)

     
  • At 7:31 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    I had no idea parents would ask for a conference and then not show up! That's just crazy. I could never be a teacher because I just don't have patience- especially with inconsiderate people. I applaud you for the work you do every day.

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Word.

    You're time is so valuable & should be respected as such. Teachers deserve the utmost appreciation and respect.

    You've got mine.

    PS - That picture at the top of your post!! OOOOoo!!

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    You said that so well! I have had many of those conferences, and it is frustrating. It makes me feel like I am only good enough when their schedule allows, I am after all just the teacher. It makes me mad.

    (Little brothers are always a nuisance, too!)

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    Yikes! Uh, hellllooooo? YOU asked for the conference! Hopefully the grandma will tell the mom. Hopefully. Sigh.

    Janet T.

     
  • At 9:19 PM, Blogger Shandra said…

    I am with Tamara. I had no clue parents would do this. Sorry to all of the teachers out there. You all have to put up with enough with out this stuff.

     
  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger fuzzandfuzzlet said…

    Some people should not breed !

     
  • At 7:19 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    How inconsiderate. And I bet that parent didn't bother to apologize.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Puddin' said…

    Niiiice! It doesn't suprise me though. There should be a mandatory parenting class for certain people!

    Being A Responsible Parent 101

    -This course teaches parents how to request conferences and appointments concerning their child AND how to follow through! Other course objectives include teaching parents the basics of: cleaning their child, feeding them, hugging them daily, and providing a nurturing home!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    And this parent wonders why there is a problem with their child. DUH !

     
  • At 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am rolling over that photo---that says it all. You stayed there longer than I would have. Did he ever phone you to apologize?

     
  • At 11:29 AM, Blogger Mrs Pushy said…

    Amen.

    from a fellow teacher~

     
  • At 11:37 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    When I left at 3:20 pm on Friday (the day this happened) I had not received a phone call from him. I have an outside line in my classroom w/ voicemail, so there's no reason not for one not to call if they need to reschedule.

    Most of the parents at my school are awesome (as are most of the students), but it's the few flakes that make me crazy sometimes!

     
  • At 3:00 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    Seems like a waste of energy to even request a conference.

    Hope you have a great week ahead!

     
  • At 7:50 PM, Blogger 4D said…

    Ugh! So inconsiderate! Hopefully they are not all like that.

    Keep smilin!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home