Saturday, October 21, 2006

Class of 1986

Tonight is my high school reunion. A few weeks ago I didn't think I'd be going, but then my plans changed when Teresa decided she would go.

I didn't want it to be a big deal. I'm really busy writing a paper for my class right now, and I didn't want to be spending money on an outfit. So, I was just going to wear a skirt and a top I already had.

I began to accessorize that outfit, and somehow that led to buying a new dress instead! It was a deal at TJMaxx, a MaxStudio kimono-style, knit dress in black and tan - very vintage (1940s) looking. But I needed shoes for it, so I ordered a couple pair from Zappos.com (my favorite shoe store) to try. They arrived yesterday afternoon, but they were too high and uncomfortable. It's too bad really, because they were both so cute!

So, I forced myself to put in about three hours on my paper yesterday afternoon before I hit the mall in search of shoes, jewelry, and a handbag. While I was trying to focus on "Brain-Compatible Classrooms" all I could think about was what I needed to complete my outfit! Once I got to a good stopping place, I high-tailed it for the local shopping mall.

Okay, what's with women's dress shoes these days? The styles are so cute, very feminine, but the heels are four inches tall! I'm already 5'8". I don't want to be six feet tall tonight, not to mention how uncomfortable that would be. Anyway, I finally found a pair I liked that weren't too high, but I had to have them stretched a little. I hope they don't hurt my feet. Maybe I should stash my slippers in my purse in case they do? Nah...

I then found a necklace, bracelet, and earrings set at The Limited, and it was buy two get one free - so another bargain.

Whilst walking the mall, I came upon the Ziba Beauty Center and decided to have my eyebrows threaded there. Another bargain - just $9 to have my brows shaped! I am obsessed with my eyebrows and pluck them meticulously everyday, but she cleaned up the tops of my brows and that's something I don't usually do. Now I think I'm hooked on threading. It took five minutes and they look great!

I finished my shopping spree at Nordstroms where I bought Spanx pantyhose (there will be no unsightly bulges tonight), and some new eyeshadow.

At that point I was exhausted and it was after 8 o'clock, so I made my way home - after I had dinner at Chik-Fil-A - my first dining experience there. I wasn't impressed.

Today, I'll continue the ramping-up to tonight's event by doing a little waxing, having a manicure and pedicure, and having my hair blown dry by my hairdresser.

So, why all this effort? Because preparing to go to your twenty year high school reunion is stressful! I've talked with Teresa and she agrees, as do the other two friends we'll be going with. We've all been shopping like crazy trying to find the perfect outfit and worrying about what others will think of us. This is insane!

I was a wall-flower in high school. I had some very good friends, but after high school I only kept up with a few friends, and now I only maintain friendships with Teresa and one other friend (who isn't going tonight). I know I'm dreading people asking me if I'm married, or not, and why not; Teresa doesn't want to talk about her divorce; S. is self-conscience because she had a baby recently and hasn't lost all her pregnancy weight; and D. - well, I think D. is probably the most well-adjusted of us all - she's just worried about how she looks.

So, wish me luck because right now I'm just a bundle of nerves about the whole thing - a little excited, and apprehensive, because I don't know what to expect. At the ten year reunion, someone I thought had been a good friend couldn't remember my name, and the husband of another friend hit on me all night long. It was so weird!

I'll post tomorrow and let you know how it went. I'll probably have some pictures then, too.

12 Comments:

  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Good luck. It is great that you have some great friends to go with. At my 10-year, they played this HILARIOUS game where they had all the women stand on the stage & then had them step off if they: were married, had a kid, had 2 kids...and so on. I was one of the last ones standing! Too bad they didn't have those of us who went to Grad School step off - I'd have been one of the only ones. (Needless to say, I didn't bother going to my 20th)......

    PS - Did you see Gross Point Blank? Great reunion film - and JOHN CUSACK!! (wink)

     
  • At 8:50 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    You are going to look FANTASTIC! I can't wait to see the pictures.

    When I lived in Chicago I used to have my eyebrows threaded every two weeks. That was one appointment I NEVER missed. I love how threading makes your eyebrows look. That is one thing I REALLY miss since moving to KY.

    Have a blast tonight! Knock 'em Dead!

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Hey, I'm sure you'll be beautiful. Have a great time and give those wayward hubbies the smackdown!

    I just found out about that eyebrow threading stuff from one of the gals in the office. Now, I have very light hair and brows so a pencil is involved. Last thing I need is for someone to take away my puny brows ;0) I've often wondered what it is like to have lush, dark brows.


    Hey, Stacy - hang in there. There is threading in Cincy so it can't be too far before it reaches you :0)

    Wendy - I would have been standing right next to ya...or stepping off with ya :0) I didn't go to my 20th either.

     
  • At 9:11 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Oh dear. This would give me a heart attack and I can only imagine the jitters you must be feeling. I'll be thinking about you tonight and hoping that your fabulousness will overtake your nervousness. Looking forward to seeing apicture of you in all that fancy get-up!

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    Oh, you poor thing. I HATE high school reunions. I skipped my 10 year one because I was too worried what people might think. How awful, and I'm sure that everyone feels the same way! You'll do great! Just remember that high school is no longer part of your life! Good luck!

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Have a fantastic time!

     
  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said…

    Have a fantastic time... You'll look great.

    I skipped my 10-year, might consider the 20. Can't wait to see your photos.

    P.s. What the heck is threading??? I feel so silly never having heard of this "new trend"

     
  • At 4:19 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    I was thinkling the same thing as Kristen, "what the heck is threading?" and I am from bear Chicago. My 20 year reunion was last month (class of 86, also), but I didn't go. Didn't care for high school enough to pay all that $ for DH & I. It was also held on a Friday night and I'd probably have to take the day off , so we could get there on time. We have a website, so I saw the pictures and I talked to a friend of mine who went. There was only 300 people, there, out of a class of over 800 and of that 300, many were spouses

     
  • At 11:27 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    My 20th will be in 2009, and my girlfriends and I have already decided we will attend, only on the way to the reunion we are planning on stopping off in Seattle, and taking a quick cruise to Alaska, and oh darn, we may miss that reunion after all! ;)

     
  • At 12:04 AM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    Hope you had fun!

     
  • At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How fun!! I go to Ziba too!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    What a night! Can you imagine in 10 years how old Jillian will be?! Who, knows, she might even have a mei-mei! =0

    PS Chick-fil-a is an East Coast thing. Having lived on both coasts, I've realized it's just not as tasty out West. Weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home