Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Most Ridiculous Item of the Day

Sorry... I just had to borrow a line from America's favorite blowhard.

What I'm referring to is this.

Yep, a veteran teacher is likely to lose her job because she took her students to a museum and they saw artwork in which (gasp!) nudity was displayed.

Shocking!

I just can't believe that anyone would expect a teacher to prevent her students from observing nude sculptures and paintings in a museum. What's she supposed to do, go around throwing beach towels over "questionable" pieces?

Thank goodness there's no nude artwork at any of the fieldtrip sites I'll be taking my students to this year.

Or, is there?

There is a book in my classroom, a children's book, about art and it has several nude sculptures and paintings in it. A couple times a year, it becomes something of great interest to my students. As the interest peaks, I shrug my shoulders and say, "It's just art! Some people, including famous artists, find the human body to be very beautiful and it inspires their artistic creations." That usually calms them down a bit.

You know, I want my students to grow up comfortable with art and environments in which art is displayed. I want them to have mature reactions to the things they see in a museum. I don't want them to overreact to nudity in an artistic setting.

Maybe those administrators and parents in Texas need a little art appreciation education.

Come on! Grow up!

p.s. The photo up top is one I took at the Orsay in Paris. I think it's beautiful. ;-)

17 Comments:

  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    That whole controversy is ridiculous. Like they will never see a nude body....what are teachers for if they can't teach!

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    It's very silly. I have taken 80 first graders to the Getty for the past several years. We tell them beforehand about the nudity and tell them that we think they can handle it, and they all do. I think the commercials on prime time are what we should be worried about.

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    The PC can be so over the top, I feel sad that you guys are so hamstrung.

     
  • At 6:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    That is truly ridiculous!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    It ticks my husband off to no end that parents will take their kids to an "R" rated movie where someone gets their head blown off, but they FREAK out if there is even a suggestion of a naked boob on T.V. It's ridiculous.

     
  • At 7:59 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    It is the definition of narrow-mindedness.

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Hmmm...and to think, my bathroom was a pseudo-bastion of child-corruption until recently. Apparently, 'the girls' were shattered in vain!

     
  • At 8:17 PM, Blogger Shandra said…

    Those darn Texans. What had they rather the kids look at guns and camo? LOL

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger D said…

    It is crazy! It's in the area I live in so I've seen it on the local news...grow up in Europe and you'll see your momma topless at the beach...grow up in America and see a topless concrete statue and get your teacher fired.

    (Not that I think we all need to run around nekkid...but seriously, it's a statue)

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Blogger fuzzandfuzzlet said…

    This story is insane.

    From what I have read it was a field trip approved by the powers that be AND each parent signed a permission slip.

    If the powers that be approved the trip why is the teacher taking all the grief AND if the parents signed the permission slip why is it even an issue. Did the parents not know there would be "nude" sculpters in the museuem?

    LMAO at the beach towel remark.

    As for the poor child of the parent that complained. Start saving now, this kid is going to have a huge sexual/relationship dysfunction... I see threapy in their future.

     
  • At 3:30 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    Give me a break. Oy Vey.

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    What is this world coming to? Love the Musee d'Orsay, girl, one of my favorite places on Earth.

    Bet the French wouldn't have such issues.

     
  • At 11:01 AM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    I would say I'm pretty right wing conservative and I don't think there's anything wrong with tasteful nude art. I have no problem with my kids seeing it, as long as it isn't promoting sexual themes. And most of that really good stuff IS NOT! And I agree wholeheartedly with Christi, they see actual smut on billboards these days, the two things don't even come close!Very silly.

    Janet T.

     
  • At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree totally. It's like that woman who wants all the Harry Potter books out of all schools - I mean, come on! It's Harry Potter!

     
  • At 12:11 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    PC gone over the top... just shocking.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    I'm actually laughing, how ridiculous and sad to fire a teacher for this. David is right, try living in Europe!!

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my gosh. It is ART. ART. AAAAHHHHH....I think that what is on Television, movies and in the video games is so much worse than the beauty of true art. UGH.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home