Saturday, October 07, 2006

Of Mooncakes & Other Things

Wasn't the moon simply beautiful last night? I wish I'd spent more time outdoors admiring it.

Well, the mooncakes weren't a hit with my students - or my family! Ha! I think three kids out of thirty-one said they liked them. I so wanted to like them, but I don't get the appeal. They are so... pasty.

Maybe they'll grow on me, if I keep trying them each year. I didn't like sake for the longest time, but I've developed a taste for it and I'll drink it now when I go out for sushi. Maybe mooncakes are just one of those things you've got to try more than once? I don't know. They sure are cute! I even received a package of mooncakes from one of my Chinese-American students. That was so neat!

Our dining experience last night wasn't that great either. It was so nice to be together, but the food just wasn't very good. I love good Chinese food, so we'll just have to keep looking for some local Chinese restaurants where you get great food and that nice Oriental atmosphere. My sister's husband said they have a favorite take-out place nearby, so maybe another option is to do Chinese take-out on special occasions. We can jazz up the table with thematic items, put on some Chinese music, and try some games or crafts that tie in with the holiday. I don't know exactly, but I know that I want to make some of these Chinese holidays a part of Jillian's childhood. In part to pay homage to her country of origin. I really want her to be proud of who she is, where she came from, and to have a positive association with Chinese culture. I also think it will be a lot of fun.

12 Comments:

  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    I gotta say I love the mooncakes...they really aren't packed with unique flavors but I have found them addicting!

    Whew, they're almost gone ;0)

    Yes, that moon was abeauty last night!

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger D said…

    Ha! That's so funny...because that's exactly what we thought, too! We heard they're better fresh...but in the Chinese market near us everything was written in Chinese in the bakery...so we couldn't figure out what was what!

    Yes...the moon was so bright when I opened the door I thought a neighbor's spotlight was on or something...amazing.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Johnny said…

    Ya gotta be kidding me? In LA/CA, no good Chinese?

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Jill Pole said…

    Ahhh, the mooncake... This was one of the great food adventures of China. (I lived there for two years.) We never knew what was inside. I think my favorite was red bean paste and my least favorite was hard boiled egg. There were a few other odd combinations. Since I could only speak the language and not read very well, I could never tell before I bit in! :-)

     
  • At 4:55 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Good to try the mooncakes. Maybe a moon pie too?!

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Lily ate her piece of mooncake and loved it but then she saw the egg in the middle and decided she had to have it even though I warned against it. Not a happy result for her but I must admit her face made me snicker....behind my napkin of course!

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    Haven't had any mooncakes, but they sure look good.

     
  • At 12:40 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    I have never tried a moon cake. Are they easy to make?

     
  • At 5:19 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    After four years of Moon Festivals and four years of trying mooncakes (including last night at our FCC Moon Festival), I still haven't developed a taste for them - nor has Emma. But it's fun to keep trying!

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    I am going to come up with some faux moon cakes and some moon cookies to celebrate next year. I will let you know how it goes.

     
  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger Stinky Mouse said…

    I'm starting to like the lotus seed paste ones (with no egg yolks)

    Did some googling around and found that Hagen Dazs and Starbucks both make really cool ones, but you can only get them in Asia.

    My mission is to find the ultimate mooncakes.

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger M3 said…

    I thought they were kinda funny too... Maybe next time they'll grab me? ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home