Monday, October 23, 2006

Threading



Since several of you were unfamiliar with threading, I found this picture and description for you. From wikipedia.com:

Threading is an ancient method of hair removal that is still used in parts of the Middle and Far East. Thin, twisted cotton threads are rolled over untidy hairlines, mustaches and so on, plucking the offending hair. In Western countries, threading can still be found being performed in beauty salons. Unlike other methods of hair removal such as plucking or waxing, threading is much healthier for the skin and does not result in ingrown hairs.

Practitioners use a pure cotton thread. They generally twist the hair and threading pulls out a whole row of hair, as opposed to tweezing where only one single hair is pulled out. Threading is often preferred to tweezing because of the naturally straight lines of hair removed by the thread. It is pulled out from the follicle. Some women focus particularly on the area between the eyebrows [1], thus interrupting so-called "unibrows". Side effects can include folliculitis, a bacterial infection in the hair follicles, skin reddening or puffiness, and changes in skin pigment.

Threading is known as khite in Arabic, but in Egypt is referred to as fatlah. It is very popular in India as well.


I had tried having my eyebrows waxed many years ago, but since my skin is very sensitive it remained red and bumpy for days after the waxing appointment. I experienced about 24 hours of redness with the threading, but no bumps. I'm envious of those of you who can go weeks between plucking or waxing your brows. I have no such luck. If I don't pluck them daily, they'll take over in no time!

8 Comments:

  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    I have never, ever, not once plucked an eyebrow! I so wish I had to at least now and then. Mine are baby fine and blonde.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Perhaps I can thread one side of mine cos one side is blonde and the other, well it isnt. Freakish huh?

     
  • At 9:43 PM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    Mine too. I have to pluck ALL the time or I'd be a serious BERT! It's an obsession.....

     
  • At 10:19 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Okay, I laughed out loud at Janet's BERT comment! I'm a plucker and have Santa brows if I don't. I'll have to think about threading as an alternative.

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger Elise said…

    That looks like it hurts...guess I am lucky cuz I never even tweeze my fine blonde eyebrows. My eyelashes are blonde too and without mascara I look like a lizard:)

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Tawni said…

    I just had a horrible experience waxing myself this weekend...maybe i will look into threading...hmmmm

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said…

    Thanks for the info.. it was bugging me!!! I may just have to try this. I can't wax anymore.. my face don't like it!!

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Blogger Shelley said…

    OMG Joannah - This struck a cord with me. I tried threading for about 6 or 8 months before Charlotte joined us. I have to tell you, it was so painful that each time I had tears running down my cheeks. Maybe I got an unskilled practitioner. I know it's becoming popular ...there is a shop just down the street from me now. But I guess I'm a wimp and just couldn't take it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home