Sunday, October 22, 2006

Twenty Years Later


There we are - Joannah and Teresa. Friends since 1982, when we had English with Mrs. Vena, and science with Mr. Smith (he was a little crazy, no really!) our freshman year of high school. I wish I had a scanner so I could show you some pictures of us back in the day! ;-)

So where do I begin with my rundown on last night? Not surprisingly, it was overwhelming for me in some ways. Lots of faces I recognized but couldn't remember the name that went with the face. Oops!

I was disappointed that the people I hoped to see the most weren't there. I had been in Concert Choir and Troubadours during high school, and most of my close friends were also involved in vocal music. Only one other member of the Troubadours, John H., attended and he sat with us for dinner. I enjoyed seeing him. He's a unique individual, with a great sense of fun, and he still has a real sweet spirit. He used to wear his hair long back in school, but he decided to cut it during our senior year. Trouble was he decided to cut it during a "Battle of the Bands" concert in the school amphitheater - onstage. The school administrators marched out of their building and took him off the stage rather quickly because we all know what cutting your hair in public leads to, right? (Imagine me rolling my eyes, if you will.)

There were quite a few people that I had gone to elementary school with though, and it was good to see them because I've known them since first grade. Being an elementary school teacher, I have a unique perspective on how young we once were. Yikes! Seeing them brought back memories of slumber parties, favorite teachers, and playing after school in the neighborhood. I remembered when John A. was riding my ten-speed bicycle, rode it into a parked car, and chipped his front tooth. Do you think I was concerned about his injuries? Nope, I was mostly upset about any damage my bike had incurred.

Most people I talked to were married with children and still living in Orange County. The women were sharing pictures of their children every chance they got. I would have been too, if only...

Everyone looked older, and some looked much older - that's to be expected. I received many compliments on my appearance and, being a wallflower most of my life, that felt good.

Overall, it just wasn't all I thought it was cracked up to be. I'm glad I went, but I wish I hadn't spent so much emotional energy being apprehensive about the evening. Oh, well...

I've got another ten years until I have to consider doing it again.

21 Comments:

  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    GREAT picture! You looked fantastic.

    I give you lots of credit. I never went back to my reunion. I'm too much of a chicken. I was also a wall flower in school. Maybe I'll go to my 50th. :)

     
  • At 11:46 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    You looked marvy! The dress is beautiful.


    In ten years when the next one rolls around, imagine how much fun you'll be having with Jillian!

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    What a lovely picture!

    Just think, at the next one, you'll have a 10 or 11 year old! Wow!

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you accented that beautiful dress with a red bag! You looked gorgeous.
    I'm with Stacy in the chicken department. You are very brave!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You look FABULOUS! Love the dress!

     
  • At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Look at you!!! Awesome. Where did you get the dress??? Glad you had fun!

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said…

    You looked AWESOME!!!! glad you had a nice time.

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger D said…

    You did look great! My 20th is in 2008...it will be interesting to see if I go. Let's see...I got a LID of 8/16/2006...will I have a kid by my 20th? Who knows...

    Congrats on going...congrats on feeling good about yourself...

     
  • At 3:12 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    You look so pretty in this photo- no wonder you got a lot of compliments. My 20 year reunion is coming up this spring so I will be going through the whole "new outfit and accessories" routine as well. I am looking forward to showing off Miya and Alexis 'cause I think they are the best little girls in the whole world!

     
  • At 4:12 PM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    You GO Girl. You GO with your bad self. What a terrific picture, fabulous dress, well shaped brows, great friend by your side & happy smile. XOXO

    PS - I had to follow up my reunion nightmare story by saying that I went to HS in Visalia. Nuff' said.

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    You look so pretty! I am glad to hear to hear you had a nice time!! Have a great week!

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    You look beautiful! Glad you had fun! Mine is looming too. Not sure if I'll go. I missed the ten year.

     
  • At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're looking good!!! Glad to hear you had a fun time...

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    You looked spectacluar...very young and fresh!

    I went to my 10 and that is it, I'm done for good. I give you tons of credit for going!

    You go girl and you looked great to boot!

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    I think you look great too, and soon you'll be able to show your pictures! Glad the evening is over for you and you can breathe a sigh of relief!

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger 4D said…

    Looking good ladies!

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    You looked lovely. I can understand the stress of going - my 20th is five weeks away & still debate whether or not to go. Why such angst over high school reunions? Weird.

    BTW, what is eyebrow threading? Is that a California thing? Curious.

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Lisa and Tate said…

    You look too young to going to your 20 year reunion!!! You are a brave girl... I have not gone to any of my reunions...TOO SHY, I guess.

    Lisa

     
  • At 5:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joannah, you look great, what a great outfit!! Love it. Glad you had a good time.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger Special K said…

    You really look great! The dress is awesome. Glad you went and that it's over. Now you won't have any regrets wondering what it was like if you hadn't gone.

     
  • At 2:51 PM, Blogger rubyiscoming said…

    Just getting caught up on my fav blogs, like yours! :)

    You look FABU in that dress - glad you went - my 20th is in 2008 and I'm dreading it....you give me hope :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home