Tuesday, October 24, 2006

When Weird Found Me

Last Saturday, while out running errands in preparation for my reunion, I stopped at my favorite sandwich shop for lunch. Grounds is just a little hole-in-the-wall, and it was really busy that day. After I placed my order, I sat down at an unoccupied table to wait for my order to come up.

I was reading a magazine at my table, when a man in a fedora approached me and asked if he could sit down. Because it was so busy in the place and there were few empty tables, I said yes. He then sat down and pulled out a notebook and a pen, and asked me if he could ask me some questions.

That's when I caught the weird vibe from him.

I responded with, "I don't want to have a conversation with you."

I know, I know. That wasn't very friendly or Christ-like of me. Oh, well... Like I said I had picked up on the weird vibe from him by then and he was making me uncomfortable.

His response to me?

"Oh, so you're part of the silent majority?" He was totally serious.

At that point my sandwich order was ready, and I took my things to another table.

I just wanted to eat my BLT in peace.

17 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    Yes, BLTs are best eaten alone, away from WEIRDO! I think your response was perfectly fine!

     
  • At 7:48 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    You handled it well! Talk about those funky gut feelings...ick to that one.

     
  • At 9:33 PM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Eeeww - How creepy.

    Listen to your instincts. They're never wrong.

    Shell

     
  • At 10:28 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    Creepy!

     
  • At 11:06 PM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    HILARIOUS. The silent majority. Funny. Sorry, maybe not so funny to you...at the time. What a trip. I'm a nut magnet - happens to me allll the time. (A social workers curse, I think).

     
  • At 4:40 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Oh dear...that's why I always put my "don't you dare even look at me" face on in most public arenas.

     
  • At 6:51 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    "Umm Hello? Wack-job factory...appears you lost one."

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 9:28 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    Follow your gut or empty your gut on his shoes! Scary little man!
    Stay away!

     
  • At 9:32 AM, Blogger Kristin said…

    I am curious as to what he was going to ask you? The Silent Majority? Sounds like he is some sort of conspiracy theorist!

     
  • At 10:47 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    WOH! Total weirdness!

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    hmm- now that is weird- what a great brush off, I'm taking notes!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    You did well. Very well. Glad to know your instincts kicked in just like you would hope they would do.

    Smooth... Proud of you.

    fm

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger Puddin' said…

    Oh my.

    I think you handled that guy the right way. Weird people like that freak me out. I probably would have been too paranoid to stay there and eat!

     
  • At 2:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Definitely weird!!!! Good timing with the sandwich order, bet you were never so glad to collect your order.

     
  • At 5:15 AM, Blogger Colleen said…

    Thats just messed up. Very very creepy!!!

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Lisa and Tate said…

    I seem to attract the weirdos and somehow I just tolerate them. I will remember the way you handled it and try it out next time!!! Much better than having to endure.

    Lisa

     
  • At 11:42 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    lol I always start and then think 'oops what have I done' too! Weird.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home