Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Doggie 911

Poor Buffy!

Bad Mommy!

Buffy got me up several times in the night. She was restless and very thirsty. Her usually trim waistline was distended. By the time I got up to get ready for work, it dawned on me that she might have bloat - which can be deadly. I knew she had eaten too much rawhide over the weekend - that's where the "Bad Mommy" part comes in. I gave her a rawhide chew while I jumped in the shower on Sunday. I intended to take it away from her when I was done with my shower, but by then she had consumed all of it. I will never feed any of my dogs rawhide in the future. I feel so badly.

Anyway, I sprung into action. Got on the Internet and checked the symptoms for bloat, several of which she presented with. Called the animal hospital and let them know we were on our way. Called in for a substitute teacher. Threw on some clothes, and by 6 a.m. was on the freeway. The nearest 24 hour animal hospital is 15 miles from here, and by 6 a.m. we're already dealing with rush hour traffic. So, that added to my stress level.

Once there, she was seen to immediately. She wasn't happy. She growled and barked at the receptionist, so I had to muzzle her. I'm pretty sure it's because she didn't feel well. She is usually friendly when we go to the vet or the groomer.

Within a half hour, the veterinarian showed me Buffy's x-rays. She is stuffed full with food. So far, her stomach has not twisted, so she doesn't require surgery yet. They are going to try and flush her system with fluids, induce vomiting, and pump her stomach before they resort to surgery.

So, I'm at home.

Waiting to hear from the vet.

Hoping Buffy will be okay.

********************************

Update: I just returned from visiting Buffy at the hospital tonight. She is improving! The staff said she was responding well to the less invasive treatments. They've induced some vomiting and put her on an IV catheter. She's being walked regularly. Buffy looked a little stressed to me, and she definitely doesn't like the Elizabethan collar they've put on her, but it keeps her from licking the place where the catheter is. I'm hopeful that she'll be able to come home tomorrow night!

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers for us!

25 Comments:

  • At 12:26 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Oh poor Buffy. Sending prayers for you both.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor pup! Sending good thoughts both of your way.

     
  • At 2:26 PM, Blogger Julia said…

    Oh no! I just read your comment on my blog and hurried over to see what was up. Poor Buffy! But aren't you glad you noticed her symptoms this morning and went to the vet immediately? You did the right thing, and I bet soon Buffy will be feeling good as new.

     
  • At 2:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Oh my. I hope your pup is okay. I hate it when our "babies" are sick. Hang in there!

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Ooooh! I hope Buffy gets rid of those foodie demons and fast.

    I'll be thinking of you both.

     
  • At 3:15 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Oh Joannah- I'm so sorry you and Buffy are going through this. I had no idea rawhides were bad. I sure hope everything's ok.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear your "baby" is sick! I hope she's feeling better soon.

     
  • At 5:11 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    You are a good Doggie Mommy, you took her right away!! I hope she is feeling better now!!

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor Buffy, poor mommy! Hope Buffy will get better soon....

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger A said…

    Poor thing! I hope she is feeling better.

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Oh, sweetie! I'll be thinking about you and your sweet girl and praying that she won't need surgery. It's so hard to know what to do for them when they cannot tell us. You are NOT a bad mommy.

     
  • At 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Buffy and you are both in my prayers. You are still a good Mommy. It's so easy to overindulge our furbabies.

     
  • At 7:21 PM, Blogger Special K said…

    Wow! I had no idea that the rawhide was a bad thing. No more for Griffey either!

    I hope Buffy starts feeling better soon. I know how hard it is to be home without your furbaby. Hang in there.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    Poor thing! But hey! You jumped right into action! You totally passed the mommy emergency test! You are SO ready for Jillian now! ;)
    And also? I am going to give something other than rawhides to my Ranger! Thank you for the tip...you may have saved labs everywhere!

     
  • At 8:23 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    I hope Buffy is out of that collar and home soon! Thanks for the update :0)

     
  • At 8:24 PM, Blogger D said…

    So sorry! hope she's all better soon!

     
  • At 8:58 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Glad to hear Buffy is hanging in there. Keep us updated.

     
  • At 12:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad Buffy is improving (where would we be without the internet!!)

     
  • At 4:39 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Good to know that she is improving. No one likes to be in the hospital, but it is the best place for her right now. Keeping you both in my thoughts,
    Kathy

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    So sorry to hear about Buffy, she is lovely by the way. Hope she is bounding around with her usual amount of energy in no time at all.

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Poor puppy! I hope she gets better soon and is at home with you. Our furry babies are so important and good for you for being an attentive mommy and getting her the help she needed.

    Good vibes!

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    Wow, what a nightmare! I'm glad everything is turning out okay for poor Buffy!

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    Get better soon, Buffy! Don't feel too bad, "Mommy", these things do happen. I'm glad she's getting treated! I hate it when my pets are sick!

     
  • At 2:37 PM, Blogger Elise said…

    Glad to hear Buffy is doing better, hope your puppy can come home soon!

     
  • At 2:53 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said…

    Hoping she's home real soon...
    Sending prayers

     

Post a Comment

<< Home