Friday, November 17, 2006

Old Yeller

One of the things left behind by the previous occupant of my new classroom was a VHS copy of "Old Yeller". It was one of the few things I didn't throw out when I moved in. My students had earned a reward for accumulating table points for good behavior a couple weeks ago, and today I finally had the time to reward them with a movie and some popcorn. Ironically, they owed me eleven minutes off their Citizenship Recess at the end of the day for not-so-good behavior!

I had never seen "Old Yeller" - at least I don't recall having seen it before. It's melodramatic for sure, but I'm a sucker for a dog movie. I knew it had a tragic ending and I was afraid I'd cry in front of my students, so I sort of half-watched it while I corrected their tests.

The kids were really chatty during the first half of the movie - fourth graders always are! Do they do that in the movie theater, too? They drive me nuts! Anyway, after the scene with the boars, they really settled down and watched the end of the movie intently. We all learned that "hydrophobia" is another term for rabies - I looked it up on the Internet, and we were all sad to see how Old Yeller met his demise. I didn't cry though, and I don't think anyone else did, either. I think it helped that the family already had that cute, little puppy.

The nice thing about this movie was that I didn't have to gasp or make comments once about any inappropriate language. Even in G and PG movies, there is so much swearing these days. I always have to express my dismay when the characters swear because I don't want my students to think that I think it's okay for there to be swearing in children's movies - it's not! So, I'm thinking I need to get my hands on some more D*sney classics like this one for future movie days.

Do you have a favorite D*sney movie from way back when?

10 Comments:

  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    I use movies from "Feature Films for Families". They have good morals but are not Christian, so you can use them in public schools. "The Buttercream Gang" is a good one for 4th graders from that company, and they produce teacher guides that go with them!

     
  • At 12:28 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Anything Haley Mills-Disney-Movie-wise suggestion, ok?? Love Pollyanna. And, hate it, too. How about Parent Trap??

    You are a strong (or maybe very well distracted) woman to not cry during Old Yeller. I always cry when an animal dies. So sad.

     
  • At 2:55 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    What a lovely movie to show them! My favourites for sure are:
    Sound Of Music
    Mary Poppins
    Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
    Pollyanna
    Parent Trap

    All brilliant classics that I can't wait to share with my kids. Sorry I haven't posted a comment in a while, rough two weeks. Hope you are well!

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger dawn said…

    Not very good with the old movies but I do love The Sound of Music, I guess that is old.

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Lisa and Tate said…

    How about the original Cheaper by the Dozen or With Twelve You get Eggroll? I think it is Twelve?? Doris Day Pillow Talk? Or any Don Knots movie???

    Lisa

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pete's Dragon is my all time favorite Disney movie.

     
  • At 11:27 AM, Blogger Elise said…

    Wow, I have so many favorites from my childhood but I would love to see those old Disney movies with Kurt Russell again. I can't even remember what they were called but I remember watching them as a kid and I think there were several??? I also loved movies with Haley Mills, I named my oldest daughter Hailey after all:)

     
  • At 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Parent Trap (the old one!), Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...Awww such fun!

    Pillow Talk- oh my gosh, best movie!!!

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Mommy Spice said…

    First of all, Old Yeller was the first movie I remember ever seeing in the theater. I was about 4 or 5 years old. I cried so hysterically at the end that my aunt, who took me to see it, made arrangements with the theater staff to let me see the beginning again so I would see Old Yeller alive. She tried desperately to convince me it was just acting, and the dog was fine.

    As a former second grade teacher, I read the book to my students every year. It still cried when I got to that part. Another tear jerker dog book is Stone Fox.

    BTW, I love The Parent Trap! Kurt Russell is in that one as well (the little boy).

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Mommy Spice said…

    Oops, Kurt Russell is in Polyanna.... another cute one.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home