Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Ready to Walk

In the last five days, Buffy and I have walked 12 miles! I'm still amazed by her good behavior. Walking through the neighborhood and the adjacent park has been fun, too. I enjoy seeing the holiday decorations that are starting to show up, and the park is really beautiful and peaceful this time of year - Little League is over.

However, I wasn't prepared to walk after dark, and it gets dark so early this time of year. And it's cold, too!

So, tonight I went over to Sports Chalet and purchased a fanny pack to hold a small flashlight, my keys, and my cell phone. I also want to get some pepper spray for would-be aggressive dogs or human scum - although if I let Buffy back on my left side she'll just go back to being Mr. Hyde and defend me to the death!

I also purchased a couple of fleece jackets to keep me warm, and a pair of fleece gloves. I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold, anything below 65 degrees gives me goosebumps!

So, no walk tonight.

But I'm prepared for tomorrow night!

*************************************

Sigh...

Not only is it very chilly outside, the wind is fierce. I don't do wind. Earlier it looked like it was going to get foggy, but the weather service says it's just "blowing dust". Yuck!

Why is it that everytime I get started with a workout routine SOMETHING conspires to keep me in the house instead?

15 Comments:

  • At 6:13 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    You go! That's great.

    Still cracks me up that Buffy turns into a completely different doglet depending on which side she is on. Silly girl!

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    That's great, Joannah! Be careful on those walks. :)

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to force myself to get out at night, after it gets dark and cold to take Lily for her walk. But I know in the end, we are both better for it.

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger A said…

    I am glad that your dog is finally cooperating with you on your walks. It is funny that she has very distinct personalities depending on which side she is on. Good for you for walking 12 miles.

     
  • At 8:30 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    65 degrees! I have to laugh about that. We are loving the mild upper 50's, low 60's weather. So uncharacteristic of this time of year. By the weekend this warm spell will be but a distant memory and replaced by upper 20s, lower 30s. Which isn't bad for Chicagoland.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Be careful out there ~ but like you say you can always switch hands and you will have ferocious beast hound back again! That is most peculiar.
    12 miles is fantasic! Good for you and Buffy.

     
  • At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you walking in that kind of weather, I can bearly motivate myself to do it warm weather!!! Though there is something to be said for bundling up and taking in all the holiday decorations!

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    That is so funny that Buffy is just fine walking as long as she is on the right side! Glad to hear you are taking precautions and being prepared as you walk after dark. Isn't it sad that we all have to do such things. Be careful but ENJOY!

     
  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Good stuff! It is great exercise for both human and pooch.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 10:38 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    I am so glad he is doing well! That is one of the things I miss about not having a dog - company on long evening walks!
    (and a reminder to walk every day!)

     
  • At 6:24 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    You go girl! Walk off 10 lbs for me....my neighbor would be very appreciative.

    Funny how I refuse to walk right now because I don't want to see Christmas decor and you love it. It's just to early for me. Things are still in summer mode around here. I have to wait until after Dec. 1 to be able to handle it with kindness.

     
  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    I'm with you, Joannah! YUCK TO THE COLD! I like to stay where it's warm.....Hawaii, maybe?

     
  • At 9:24 PM, Blogger Puddin' said…

    I KNOW! This cold and wind we've been having in southern CA is too much!

    Brrrrrrrrrr!

    Although, it's kind of nice around this time of year. :)

     
  • At 10:24 PM, Blogger Paulette said…

    I took Lilly for a walk yesterday and it was 10 degrees so bundle up girl and hit the pavment.

     
  • At 3:17 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    I totally understand about starting a routine and having (ok, sometimes "letting!") something stop me! Usually I end up getting sick after about 4 workouts! That or I finally have PTA/conferences/babysitting/continuing ed classes which interupt my momentum! When I lived in Irvine there was a great walkway along the watercanal by Jamboree. Boy, I miss that (*and* the good weather!!) Hope you get a chance to kick into high gear again!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home