Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas Time is Here

I really haven't blogged much this last week. How is it one can be so busy but not have much to say? I don't know...

I'm done shopping. I didn't have that much to buy anyway. In my family, the adults draw names. So, that keeps the shopping to a minimum. Today I will spend some time wrapping the few gifts I did purchase.

Report cards went home on Friday. I'm hoping that I don't have an onslaught of requests for last minute conferences this coming week to discuss the report cards. Fourth grade is the first year in which students receive letter grades. Seeing your child's first D or F on his or her report card can cause alarm, I know. And there were a few of those, but they should have seen it coming. Most of my students do very well in the core subjects of reading, writing, and math, but they struggle with listening comprehension (we never had listening comprehension when I was in school), and some don't get the support they need at home to study for science and social studies tests - so they pull Ds and Fs in those areas. By the second trimester most kids (and their parents) have the routine down and their report cards are much better. This first one can be a real wake up call!

Speaking of grades, I am waiting on my final grade for the class I just finished last weekend. I'm pretty sure that I have an A because I've received full credit for every assignment - well, every assignment except the last one that hasn't been graded yet. I just want to know how I did! I hate waiting for grades.

Today, I'm going to bake some banana bread with all my overly ripe bananas. I'm also going to start wrapping those gifts and take Buffy on another walk. We cut our walk a little short yesterday because it seemed like it was going to rain any minute and I didn't want to be a mile and a half away from home when it started! Buffy wouldn't mind, but I would have! I have some real motivation now to keep walking and lose some weight, but I'll tell you about that in another post!

Aloha! ;-)

15 Comments:

  • At 8:43 AM, Blogger Special K said…

    The adults draw names in my family, too. So much easier that way and less expensive. My day sounds like your day... wrapping presents, walking Griffey. No baking today though...

    The motivation, hmmmm? I bet I can guess.... :)

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    We draw names on my side of the family, but Joël's side doesn't. I spent the afternoon yesterday wrapping gifts and I am proud to say that I am completely finished. :)
    We are hosting Christmas eve so I still have to prepare somewhat for that, but most of the food is bought...no one wants to eat what I make.

     
  • At 9:05 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    P.S. Happy baking!!

     
  • At 9:27 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Aloha huh?

    Gee, I wonder ;0)

    Enjoy your day, Joannah

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Warm banana bread sounds wonderful...can we come over?!

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    join the club, I'm trying to get motivated too!
    Another banana bread maker! Me too, but the funny thing is I can't eat it because I am allergic, so I make it and give it away!
    Have a great weekend, soon it will be Christmas vacation!!!

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Hmmm. A guessing game? Sounds like a fun way for you celebrate the end of your course work.

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger Mommy Spice said…

    Just came across your blog. I've seen your comments on others. We are paperchasing for Mei Mei. I left a comment on the CCAA rules blog you wrote. Anyway, I'm a former 2nd grade teacher, and have been home for 3 years with our daugher (spicy girl). I am glad to come across your blog.

    P.S. I'm making banana bread tomorrow with my over ripe bananas. This will be after making Christmas cookies at playgroup. (I'm a friend of Panda Mom's.)

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger Glinda said…

    So, do tell, when ya leavin' for Hawaii?

    We also draw names and buy for the nieces and nephews, and what good fortune for me, because they are all almost grown and when I have my daughter, she'll be the only little one...yippee, 'cuz you know it's all about the gifts. ;)

     
  • At 6:35 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    OK girl! You know teachers don't get random days off. ;) A spring break trip, perhaps? Just enough time to lose some weight! What fun!!
    Um, I also have overripe bananas. I think I will make bread too. I will be thinking of ya'll! And also, why do we not eat our bananas in time??

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Poor Toby has been slighted in the walk area since the arrival of Miya. We finally had a really good walk today and I could tell both of us are already deconditioned! Will have to be more faithful! Merry Chriatmas Joannah!

     
  • At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hope you had fun baking today!!!

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FUN!!! : ) And yum to the bannana bread. : )

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    I have some overly ripe bananas that I considered making into bread....but I so need to lose weight, in a bad way.

    Your busy week sounds very relaxing to me. I put the hubs busy wrapping....I hate wrapping.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Oooh, I'm lovin' the sound of your motivator and your diet of banana bread!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home