Saturday, December 09, 2006

In Which I React...

...to yesterday's news from the CCAA. I was too happy about finishing my paper to let it get to me at the time, but I do have some thoughts on the situation.

First of all, I think we have the agencies to blame. China's process was so predictable that many agencies jumped on the gravy train. I know my agency has significantly increased the number of dossiers sent to China since 2004. When I attended their informational seminar last fall, the speaker said that they'd done 200 China adoptions that year, and expected to double that in the coming year. Their webite now states that they currently have over 900 families in process with China. Nine hundred!!! I don't have anything against my agency. They have served me well so far, but I think those numbers speak for themselves.

I think what many of us thought was due to inefficiency or scandal, was in fact, simply an over abundance of parent dossiers. China may have many more children in need of families, but the truth is that they adopt out less than 15,000 through IA each year. What ever made our agencies think that they could make China increase their soft quota by submitting more dossiers than ever before?

So, now we have a new set of requirements for the second half of 2007. The one that hits closest to home for me, of course, is their decision to only allow married couples to adopt. While I do believe that a two-parent family is the ideal situation for children, and it's what I hope I can offer my daughter someday, I don't think that all married couples offer children the best home compared to all single parents. As a single woman, I have a very high level of education, job security, home ownership, growing income, and my net worth far exceeds the CCAA's new requirement. And that's just the stuff that can be quantified!

In my opinion, the CCAA should have instituted a quota that would have limited the number of dossiers - period. Eliminating singles when we only make up 8% of the total number of dossiers just seems petty.

With all that said, I am grateful that I have my LID and that these new requirements seemingly will not negatively impact this adoption. I am saddened that adopting again from China isn't a possibility if I remain single.

21 Comments:

  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Special K said…

    Today I'm so thankful that I started this process when I did. This news is bad but would have been devastating if we were not already LID.

     
  • At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just found out about these new rules. I agree with all of what you said. I am happy for you that you have your DTC date, but sad for the people who were hoping to parent on of these children some day.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Always in the back of mind was going back to China to get a sister for Emma...that surely isn't going to happen now. I'm happy for all you singles who got your dossiers in before the new rules. But my heart breaks for those singles who aren't going to make it and will have to search elsewhere if they want to be parents someday...

     
  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Crappy news, friend. When are we ever going to get good news from the CCAA? (groan)

     
  • At 3:28 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    I hear ya! Grrr...wimper....snort.

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    Well said!! I am glad you have your LID also, because you are going to make a terrific mommy! :) We can only pray that they will change it back in the future.

     
  • At 10:55 PM, Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said…

    I think it is very sad, too. Isn't one loving parent better than none? I am glad you got iin when you did!
    Lisa

     
  • At 3:02 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    I too am grateful that you are able to adopt from there. Having just blogged about how sad I am that it is now out for me, I do rejoice in the fact that other singles have been able to adopt.
    I think your comments about the agencies is exactly what some of the agencies in Canada are saying, agencies pushing for more and more people was short sighted and will (now has) result in changes having to be made. Too bad it wasn't thought about. But then I heard about one agency saying 'we have a right to help people, and agencies do have to hmake their money'. Just too bad everyone couldn't share a piece of the pie...
    Very sad isn't it?

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger Mardi said…

    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I'm glad you have your paperwork in and that you will not be affected by these new rules for now. However, you should have the opportunity to adopt again. You will be a great mommy!

     
  • At 6:25 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    "I don't think that all married couples offer children the best home compared to all single parents. As a single woman, I have a very high level of education, job security, home ownership, growing income, and my net worth far exceeds the CCAA's new requirement. And that's just the stuff that can be quantified!"
    COMPLETELY AGREE!!

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Mariah said…

    Yeah...just think it we had waited until this year!

     
  • At 7:42 AM, Blogger Paulette said…

    I too feel so very blessed that I moved on my intuition that this was the time to get my papers in. Greed always seems to get the best of you and you’re right it has for these agencies at all of our expense.

    Great to catch up with you the other night.

     
  • At 9:56 AM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    It's very unfortunate and SAD!

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Do you think they'll open up singles again after the Olympics? Thinking about saving face and all that when the world is looking at them. How nice to say during this time that there is 2x as many people wanting to adopt as 'available' children. Just a thought. But hey, if there truly isn't as many as we think than that is a wonderful thing! Ahh, the rollercoaster ride continues!

     
  • At 5:30 PM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    My heart goes out to those who will never be able to adopt their baby girl half way around the world.

    A lot of things made this to be...

    Peace, Love & Hope to those still in the struggle...

    fm

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    I have to agree with you.

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Sandra said…

    Well said Joannah.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger Noneofyour... said…

    I agree with a lot of what you said...but let's all remember that adoption is still "just a business." Uck! Sounds ugly!

    I'm sad too about the singles being left out BUT there has been a lot of "less than honest" singles out there that "swear" they are not homosexual and then do all but flaunt it in China and then back in the US. I have several good friends who are single and have adopted...one is waiting on her 3rd child! I'm not at all opposed to singles adopting...gee, had I not married...I probably would have gone this route too!!

    The bottom line is that China graciously allows us to adopt their precious children...and they have the right to administer the requirements. Just in case anyone is wondering...YES, our family definitely would be affected by these new rules. We are thankful that our LID is 6/7/06.

    Blessings...

     
  • At 8:42 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    I just read about the new standards and I think you make some excellent points... what we all forget is that IA is a business for agencies and the more families in process, the more money being made.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Blogger Joannah said…

    IA is a business, but all businesses have choices to make about the ethical level at which they will operate. When agencies continue to accept large numbers of dossiers but are not forthcoming with families about lengthy wait times, that is just wrong!

     
  • At 4:40 PM, Blogger Mommy Spice said…

    We are in the paper chase for our second daughter. We have to have our dossier turned in by April 13 to miss the new rules. Some of them may affect us, so we are praying to get done. We just got fingerprinted, so we're basically waiting for the 171H.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home