Tuesday, December 26, 2006

What Santa Brought

New dishes!
We have a gift exchange between the adults in the family and my grandmother had my name. I requested this new set of dishes and she didn't disappoint me. They are Napoli by Pfaltzgraff. I haven't had new dishes in several years and I've broken most of the bowls and coffee mugs, so my request was practical. Thank you, Tata!

After a delicious breakfast and our gift exchange, we spent the rest of the day putting together a puzzle. I only spent about a half-hour on that puzzle, actually. I don't have patience for most puzzles, and yesterday's was no exception. I had brought a book and some magazines, and enjoyed having the time to read.

For dinner my mother made an amazing lamb roast. I'm telling you, you can't go wrong with an Ina Garten recipe! Her recipes have always turned out well for us.

Herb-Roasted Lamb
by Ina Garten (from Barefoot Contessa - Family Style)

12 large unpeeled garlic cloves, divided
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 6-pound boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and tied
4 to 5 pounds small unpeeled potatoes (16 to 20 potatoes)
2 tablespoons good olive oil

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the oven rack on the lower third of the oven so the lamb will sit in the middle of the oven.

Peel 6 of the cloves of garlic and place them in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Add the rosemary, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and butter. Process until the garlic and rosemary are finely minced. Thoroughly coat the top and sides of the lamb with the rosemary mixture. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour.

Toss the potatoes and remaining unpeeled garlic in a bowl with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place in the bottom of a large roasting pan. Place the lamb on top of the potatoes and roast for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature of the lamb is 135 degrees (rare) or 145 degrees (medium). Remove from the oven and put the lamb on a platter, cover tightly with aluminum foil. Allow the lamb to rest for about 20 minutes. Slice and serve with the potatoes.

(My mom used her meat thermometer and took the lamb out of the oven when it reached 135 degrees. Since it keeps cooking while it rests, the result was more like medium than rare. I recommend you do the same, unless you really like your meat well-done.)

Throughout the day we sipped on champagne cocktails. Here's the recipe:

Champagne Cocktails

In a large, glass pitcher combine

1/2 liter of cranberry juice
1 whole bottle of champagne or sparkling wine (I used an inexpensive German sparkling wine)
2 splashes of Chambord liqueur

Serve chilled in festive glassware.

Cheers!

21 Comments:

  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said…

    Love the dishes! Very pretty.

    Every single Ina Garten recipe I have ever made has been easy and delicious.

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Beautious dishes!

    I was just thinking how gladly I would give up my dishes if it came about by Jadyn dropping a few.

     
  • At 8:52 AM, Blogger Beckyb said…

    LOVE the dishes - they are so classy!!!

     
  • At 11:25 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Those are pretty! Happy Belated Birthday, and Merry Christmas too! I haven't been reading for the last couple of days and now I'm catching up. Beautiful family photo!

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Happy Holidays, you. Those XMas dishes TOtally look like Joannah! Lovely.

     
  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    What pretty dishes! It looks like yall had a wonderful day! Merry Christams!

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Beautiful dishes and beautiful family picture!

     
  • At 5:09 PM, Blogger Donna said…

    Sounds like a great time was had (and eaten!) by all!

     
  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    Yummy recipe, great photos and a drinks suggestion... a perfect post!

     
  • At 6:31 PM, Blogger Glinda said…

    Now, that I think of it, I could use some new dishes, hmmm, Valentine's Day is coming up.

    You have a beautiful family.

    I love Ina Garten, her voice is soothing. But I'm a disaster in the kitchen, so maybe her voice and some Prozac would help me to be a better cook. ;)

     
  • At 8:16 PM, Blogger Shandra said…

    Great dishes. That cocktail sounds wonderful. I will have to keep that for next year.

     
  • At 2:33 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    What beautiful dishes. lol Joannah you sound like me, although I don't usually break my dishes, I have rotten luck with others breaking them!
    What a lovely picture, it looks like it is filled with some very strong women!!!
    Thanks for the recipe, if I ate lamb I am sure it would taste good ;-)

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said…

    Joannah, I didn't see that photo of your family. Is that your sister?
    What a lovely family you have!

     
  • At 7:59 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Oooooh. Pretty dishes. Grandma did good.

    You're not kidding about the Ina Garten recipes turning out great. My Christmas Day lasagne recipe was from her Family Style book, and my hubby is still raving over it. It was amazing.

    Thanks for your note - You have a beautiful family too Joannah!

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The dishes are really pretty! And the lamb roast.......YUM! Sounds great!

    Janet T.

     
  • At 10:58 PM, Blogger Christi and Abbey said…

    I've never made an Ina Garten recipe but you've got me interested. Great dishes! I am so glad you had a good time with your family.

     
  • At 4:49 AM, Blogger Shannon said…

    The dishes look perfect for my "image" of you! Feminine and beautiful! Thanks to you I've finally discoverd Ina - no cable keeps one out of the loop, ya know! Yummy days ahead!

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Gotta love new dishes- kinda makes ya want to spend more time in the kitchen! The recipes sound delish :)

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice dishes..

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Your family is so photogenic, what a super picture. Your dishes are lovely and the lamb dish will taste fabby on them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home