Sunday, January 28, 2007

I'm Still Here

I wish that were me down on the beach in Belmont Shore, but I'm holed up here at home working on a paper this weekend. I love this shot of downtown Long Beach. If you've never been here before, I must tell you that Long Beach is a great town. I call it a little, big city. It's the fifth largest city in California with nearly a half million residents.

Long Beach is a college town. We have our own airport, a world class aquarium, beautiful beaches, the Queen Mary, pricey real estate, award winning and beautiful neighborhood parks, and lots of great shopping and dining. It also has a little bit of a Midwestern feel to it. In fact, Long Beach has been called the 'Iowa of the Pacific', because so many Midwesterners moved out here after WWII. Because of that, the area of Long Beach I live in is very traditional and modest. People take good care of their homes and take pride in their community, but I don't feel like everyone is quite as caught up in materialism and pretentiousness as parts of Los Angeles and Orange County seem to be.


In the early summer, thousands of Jacaranda trees all over the city come into bloom and they are simply gorgeous. I have grown to love Long Beach in the ten years I've lived here. It's a great place to call home.

21 Comments:

  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Joannah - that looks beautiful. Thanks for the little glimpse into utopia from the cold midwest!

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Sigh...looks wonderful. I say from the deep freeze we are having here.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Wow, looks like a truly beautiful place to live!

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Special K said…

    Gorgeous! Sounds like a very nice place to raise your daughter.

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Glinda said…

    How fortunate you are to have all that right at your fingertips; the parks, the aquarium, the beach, a world of wonder Just for Jillian;)

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Beautiful! California is on my list of places to visit someday!

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    You are not alone, my friend. I am holed up as well working on my culminating task and feel like I am getting nowhere. I did get out today, but only for a short bit.
    Sigh...soon.

     
  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    And if that didn't sell me, I don't know what would :)
    p.s. thanks for the great glimse!

     
  • At 3:48 PM, Blogger Mariah said…

    What a beautiful place to live!!

     
  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    CSULB gave me a quite a few grad school transfer credits to take with me to UVA! My college roomie does the entertainment on the Queen M. I do miss that coast! What a beautiful area you live in.

     
  • At 5:26 PM, Blogger Puddin' said…

    It looks and sounds like a wonderful place to call home! I love the blossoms.

     
  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kathryn said…

    The jacaranda trees look as beautiful as they sound.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Nice that you've found a sanctuary in SoCal, Joannah. Someday I'm sure that wee Jillian will share you love for the beach...imagine the sunset walks.

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Ohh. Now. You are starting to make me miss Long Beach! We owned a house in Long Beach about 4 years ago... we loved going to Belmont Shore and walking, eating out...going to the beach! Ahhh. Memories! I hope you get to go to the beach soon!!!

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said…

    Wow. Sounds really nice! I love "small cities". You feel more a part of them, than just another "ant".

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger Kim :) said…

    I would love to be hanging out on that beach myself! What a gorgeous view!!!!

     
  • At 4:44 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    Beautiful! I checked out your location on google and it looks alot like my slice of paradise!

     
  • At 5:00 PM, Blogger Paulette said…

    I would love the area but don't thinik I can handel all the people;0

     
  • At 6:37 PM, Blogger M and M said…

    I don't know that they have Jacaranda trees here, but I remember them well when I lived in Australia. You could see all the purple everywhere when you flew into Sydney - very cool!! They are beautiful trees when they are in bloom.

     
  • At 7:45 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Long Beach is a beautiful town. I grew up not far from there and my hubby graduated from Long Beach State.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Ohhh, it really does look and sound wonderful. I love the West Coast but I ended up on this side.
    Oh well!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home