Sunday, February 11, 2007

Fascinated by Orchids

The storm blew over without leaving much more than a half inch of rain, and so today I was motivated to get out of the house. My mom and I went to the orchid show in Orange County where we saw thousands of spectacular specimens of one of my favorite flowers. The variety of colors and shapes provided a feast for the eyes, and we were sorry that we hadn't brought our cameras. As tempting as it was to bring one home with me, I didn't do so. I already have a deep rose colored cymbidium orchid blooming in my living room. It was a gift from a student last school year. Beautiful, potted plants are one of my favorite gifts to receive from my students because they last for a long time and remind me of the giver.

As for my movie watching...

Well, I was somewhat disappointed with A Prairie Home Companion. I'm a fan of the radio show - in fact, it made me laugh so hard once that I could hardly breath. I love Garrison Keillor's sense of humor. He's written some really funny books for children, too. I highly recommend The Man Who Loved Cheese! But APHC, the movie, wasn't as entertaining as the radio show. The plot was weak. It was so weak that I could barely identify it. And it moved painfully slow. I struggled to stay awake through the whole thing. If I hadn't been waiting up to finish my laundry, I wouldn't have made it through the whole movie. Zzz...

I may be too tired to watch another movie tonight, but I'm thinking about watching The New World before the long weekend is over.

14 Comments:

  • At 4:10 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said…

    I love orchids but I end of killing them off after a few months.
    I was afraid PHC would be a disappointment. :P

    We don't have the day off today! Lucky you!

     
  • At 4:19 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    Orchids are beautiful. I can't keep a plant alive. My thumb is so brown it is sad. I just go visit flowers. :)

     
  • At 5:29 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Orchids are so lovely...but I am hopeless. I can keep people alive but not plants...black thumb here.

    Sorry 'bout the movie. It's disappointing to think 'I just wasted 2 hours on that!' Better luck next round.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Beckyb said…

    Now for the rest of us that weren't at the orchid show - you needed to bring your camera - NEXT TIME!!! Sounds wonderful!

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger kitchu said…

    I have two orchids myself (not currently blooming, hopefully soon)- they are the best and much easier to care for than I had imagined!

    Glad for the heads up on the movie, I'd almost rented that one but was afraid I'd be bored. Guess I was right!
    Kris

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    Huge orchid fan here, even going to a special orchid 'farm' soon.

    Thanks for the heads up re the movie, I was going to rent it! Is the radio show broadcast on the internet?

     
  • At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If you're looking for another good video, try Akeelah and the Bee- very good!

    I've been reading your blog for awhile now but this is the first time I've left a comment- hope it works! I am a single woman, teacher also, wanting to adopt and reading blogs to see the experiences of others. But, not yet ready to apply, hopefully soon!

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    My students know better than to give me anything that is green and that requires tending.
    Orchids are beautiful, though!

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love orchids, they are beautiful, but my absolute FAVOURITE is lilies. Sigh. Give me lilies over roses ANY day!

    Janet

     
  • At 5:59 PM, Blogger M and M said…

    That photo looks like a bird facing the camera with the wings spread!

    Glad you enjoyed the show.

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    I have been wanting to get an orchid for a while but I am afraid my Cat will eat it!

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Glinda said…

    I, too, am enamored with orchids; I carried Lady's Slippers in my wedding bouquet and it was stunning, if I do say so myself.

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    Orchids are beautiful!

    Sorry about the movie, but at least you got your laundry done!

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    I love orchids. They remind me of my Grandma from Hawaii who always had them blooming in her garden.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home