Sunday, March 04, 2007

Eight Months

Tomorrow it will be eight months since my LID. Time continues to pass quickly. I am grateful for that. Unfortunately, I think one of the side effects of the long wait for me is that I have become somewhat detached from the whole thing. When I began this process the wait was eight months long. Then it stretched to 12 months by the time I was DTC, and I was okay with that. But, as the wait continues to grow, it's hard to maintain that level of excitement and enthusiasm I once had. I don't feel angry or discouraged so much anymore, just disappointed. Like everyone else on this slow boat to China, I just wish I knew when we'd be arriving.

Last night started out great. I had dinner out with a friend I work with. We splurged big time on dinner at Walt's Wharf in Seal Beach - one of my all time favs! It's a zoo there on the weekend, even when you get there early. I was there by 5:40 and we still had to wait more than an hour for our table. We were lucky to find a spot at the bar and we shared some calamari and champagne. I love champagne! Once we were seated, I ordered these amazing scallops that were sauteed and dusted with black truffles. They melted in my mouth! I love seafood, even after my recent trauma with the crab cakes!

By the time I got home, I let the dogs in, gave them each a Milkbone and crawled into bed to watch TV for a bit. A couple hours later, Buffy got me up for the first time of the night. I thought she went out to "get busy" (that's my euphemism for a potty break), and I expected that she'd come back in and sleep until 4 or 5 am (she doesn't sleep in...). But, she got me up three more times, and each time she went out and drank lots and lots of water. I took a good look at her and her abdomen was swollen. I felt her belly and it was tight as a drum - bloat, again!

By 2:30 am, we were on our way to the emergency animal hospital fifteen miles from here. She's been admitted and they are medically treating her condition - no surgery, so far! I'm really perplexed as to how she got "backed up" this time. When she had this in November, she had consumed a large amount of rawhide. I don't give the dogs rawhide anymore, and they eat small quantities of food (1 c.) in the morning and evening. I do remember reading that once a dog has had bloat, that they are likely to have it again. I guess I'll be switching her over to the same easy to digest food that Taylor eats, and supplementing her diet with the glucosamine and chondroitin pills. The food she currently eats has the glucosamine and chondroitin in it for her knees - she's got expensive knees...

Let me tell you, this dog is a money pit! I love her to bits, but she has cost me a small fortune. Not including the food, grooming, dog bedding, and toys ($$), her medical bills in four years have been outrageous. She required knee surgery when she was ten months old ($$$$), and has been hospitalized twice for bloat now ($$$).

Oh, yeah, I've spent another small fortune on training ($$$) for her, as well. We've been to puppy kindergarten, had one (pricey) consult with a trainer over her sleeping issues (worthless), and finally I hired an expensive (but worth every penny) trainer from Los Angeles when she was a year-and-a-half old because she was so hard for me to deal with.

In spite of all that, I do think Buffy, more than any of the four dogs I've owned on my own, has prepared me in someways for motherhood. She has challenged me with her behavior, required financial sacrifices, denied me a full night's sleep in the last four years, and loved me unconditionally. Come to think of it, her birthday is on Tuesday! She'll be four.

Happy birthday, Buffy. Get well and come home soon.

Well, maybe you could stay one more night at the hospital so that Mommy can get some rest.

;-)

27 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Poor little Buffy. I hope that she feels better soon. It's no fun wondering why she is sick and having to take her to the clinic.
    Congrats on the 8 month LIDversary. I can completely relate to the whole detachment issue and feel like it is a good defense mechanism against the disappointment over the wait. In the meantime, continue to indulge in Champagne and Calamari and treat yourself in all good ways.

     
  • At 10:25 AM, Blogger Special K said…

    Happy 8 months. I agree with the detachment thing. I've gotten further and further away from this adoption. I know in the back of my mind that she's coming eventually but I'm not driven by it anymore and I'm not so baby focused right now. In fact, I'm having trouble motivating myself to start the nursery. Which was supposed to be my big spring project. We'll see.

    Gosh I hope Buffy is feeling better soon. Worrying about our furbabies is no fun at all.

     
  • At 10:26 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    I am so sorry to hear about Buffy. I hope she is feeling much better soon.

    Your dinner sounds devine! :) I LOVE Champagne, too. I don't get it very often, because no one else likes it, but when I do, YUM.

    Congrats on #8! I know what you mean about feeling detatched.

    Enjoy your Sunday. Keep us posted on Buffy.

     
  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Poor Buffy. Poor you! I had actually never heard of Bloat before you posted about it last time. From the sound of it, I should be glad! I hope she's feeling better soon.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Blogger M and M said…

    CONGRATS on 8 months!!

    As with others, I can relate to the detachment thing. I was always worried about 'piquing' too early and with the wait increasing I am being cautious.

    I hope Buffy is feeling better soon!

     
  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said…

    Happy Birthday, Buffy! We use "get busy" too! I hope she feels better and yes, that will prepare you for motherhood. Just when you think you are going to finally get some rest, you find yourself up again.

    I've had a lot of months where the attachment to this has gone out the window. Even now at...counting because I lost track...16 months (ack!) I find myself detached. Then I'll get excited and a day later it's eh, whatever. I really do think it will pick up after my November is over with.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said…

    I can't believe I typed, "my November." lol I obviously have become attached to my month.

     
  • At 11:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor Buffy....I hope she will feel better soon and that she can be home on her birthday!!! Also, happy 8 months to you!

     
  • At 11:41 AM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Happy 8 month anniversary- I did exactly what you did to get through the wait- detatch myself. When I look back at the year I feel like I wasted it obcessing over the wait even though I felt detatched (does that make sense?) I sure hope Buffy gets better- ugh- a trip to the Doggie ER at 2:30 am?!?! Buffy is obviously very special in your heart.

     
  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger OziMum said…

    Happy 8 months LID! I know exactly what you mean about losing heart. We must be in the same boat! Our file took 13 months to get to China, and we've just passed 12 months in China... ahhh.

    Poor Buffy! Hope she is feeling better soon!

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger D said…

    Congrats on 8 months. It's such a slow ride now...it's hard to comprehend how long it's going to be...so I think it's better to just "ride along" with a sense of detachment. Now when people ask "how long?" I just roll my eyes and say "forever."

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Anne Marie said…

    Poor Buffy! I really hope she is better soon, and that the new food solves the bloat issue. You know I really understand about how taking care of difficult pets prepares you for motherhood.

    Happy 8 mos.

     
  • At 1:13 PM, Blogger A said…

    Sorry to hear about the dog--I am sure you have been worried about her.
    Happy 8 month LID! I too have stopped thinking about all of this as much as I did at the beginning. I think it is the only way to deal with the uncertainty. I call it pacing myself. There are many things I wish were different about this process, but in the end, it doesn't really matter what I think or feel about the slow down. Staying upset all the time is not healthy for me or my close relationships, so I try to keep perspective and pace myself. I appreciate your desire to stay positive, even when you are having one of "those days." Some people may struggle with the feeling of detachment, but I think it is okay to detach a littleā€”it is what keeps us sane throughout the wait.

     
  • At 3:57 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Oh man, I hope your pup is better soon. Buffy sure is training you for Jillian.

    We have a million dollar dog too - AND he's a yellow lab. Hmmmm. Gotta love those sweet dogs.

    Be sure to post and let us know how Buffy is doing.

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    Sending good thoughts Buffy's way.
    I'm thinking we shouldn't worry about detaching. We've gotta deal with the here and now. And, boy,do you have a lot of here and now going on!! We'll both get that surge again when it's time...looking forward to it!

     
  • At 4:50 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Happy 8 months Joannah. Detachment is not a bad thing. I wish I could do it.

    Hope Buffy is feeling better soon!

     
  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Poor buffy! Don't feed that girl any crabcakes to clear her out though! I hope she's back to herself quickly.

    Congrats on 8 down...I went through the detachment too and am just starting to get excited again despite having a long way to go!

     
  • At 6:45 PM, Blogger Shandra said…

    Happy 8! You are 1 ahead of us.

    Hope Buffy gets better soon. Maybe you should put some sleep aid in her dog food...LOL

     
  • At 7:32 PM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Happy BDay Buffy & Happy LID-Day, Mommy. What a weekend for the two of you.

    I'd say...bring on more truffles for Mommy.

    XO

     
  • At 10:09 PM, Blogger Lisa and Tate said…

    Happy LID!!! When I started the adoption it was at 6 months and was growing. And yes.. it is hard to feel connected and motivated to the adoption and the wait time. Just spending time with others who have gotten home with their gals helps in many ways, but also makes me a little envious and lonely. What's a gal to do but wait and possibly go shopping???

    Mesa and Me wish Buffy a HAPPY BIRTHDAY... Mesa only wishes she could teach Buffy the fine art of getting rid of the bloat We call it extra gas around here and Mesa can truly teach a course on that one!!! WHEW!!! BUffy get feeling better soon!!!

    Hugs
    Lisa (and Mesa too)

     
  • At 6:45 AM, Blogger Donna said…

    Hope Buffy is back to her old self soon...and congratulations on hitting the eight-month mark!

     
  • At 8:18 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Happy 8 Month LID-iversary!

    I hope your furry baby is feeling better. An idea/question...are their food and water bowls right on the ground? Beacuse with big dogs, the lower they reach to eat, that can raise the risk of bloat. Have you tried having their bowls on a higher stand? My in-laws have a stand for each of their dogs and no problems. Perhaps Petsmart would have them?

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger kitchu said…

    Sorry about Buffy- did they figure out what was wrong or what was causing the abdominal distention?
    Poor thing!

    As for your comments about waiting, I'm feeling that ambivalence too- my agency's website has a newsletter they put out and it always lists "predicted" wait times based on LID. The next batch (after 24th Oct 05) 18m. Batch after that, 18-19m. So it seems to inch up. Sure wish the CCAA would find a way to speed it up, if only a little. Congrats either way on being 8 months in!

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    Happy Birthday sweet Buffy! I hope you are on the mend soon!!!

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    p.s. I am sad that the process is so long, I would imagine being detached is a great defense mechanism. Thinking about you lots.

     
  • At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Poor Buffy! And POOR MOMMY TOO! I hope you can get everything sorted out with her....

    And as for the detachment, I feel the same way. When I really let myself think about it, I get excited...but in the meantime, I just don't. I can't. It's just too hard.

    Janet T.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    Happy 8 months down!

    I'm sorry to hear about Buffy, it is no fun when your pets are sick. I just wish my Kita girl could speak words to tell me when something is really bothering her...like her hips.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home