Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Happy Birthday, Buffy!



Today is Buffy's birthday. She is four now. That's 28 in dog years. She is spending her birthday back in the hospital. Her symptoms returned last night, and so we had to make another late night drive to the emergency animal hospital.

I spoke with the veterinarian a while ago, and she is concerned that Buffy's bloat is caused by a physiological problem. She thinks Buffy's stomach may have some motility issues. That means that her stomach isn't compressing the kibble and moving it into the intestines like it should. The vet has been observing Buffy and seeing what she can do on her own before pumping her stomach again. They are doing another x-ray to see if she's made any progress since the last x-ray was taken around midnight last night. To determine if this is a motility issue, the doctor may want to do an ultrasound later.

The doctor is perplexed and concerned. I am, too. If, after she's released from the hospital, changes to Buffy's diet don't resolve this problem, I'm afraid of the consequences. I can't keep taking her to the hospital like this - it's too expensive.

Anyway, I'm sad and worried about my birthday girl.

16 Comments:

  • At 5:16 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Joannah,
    You are doing everything you can for your sweet girl. Know that I am thinking about you both and hoping for positive news.

     
  • At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Joannah, I am so sorry! I agree with Katht, you are doing everything you can for Buffy. I hope there will be some good news soon.

     
  • At 5:41 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Crossing my fingers for you and Buffy!

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    Happy Birthday Buffy!

    Joannah,

    I'm so sorry to hear she is back in the hospital. Sending you good thoughts.

     
  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger dawn said…

    Happy 4th birthday Buffy.

    So sorry you have to go through this again.
    Try and stay optimistic.

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Blogger 4D said…

    Happy Birthday Buffy!

    I hope this situation gets resolved and she can come home healthy and happy.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 9:20 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    Oh I am sorry this has re-surfaced. I will be keeping you and Buffy in my thoughts!

     
  • At 9:46 PM, Blogger Special K said…

    I'm thinking of you both. And hoping for the best.

    That's no way for a girl to have to spend her birthday. Yuck.

     
  • At 2:39 AM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    Hope all gets better with Buffy; Salty Dog sends his regards.

    Alyson

     
  • At 4:14 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Oh, honey, I'll be thinking about you guys. It is heartwrenching when our furbabies are ill.

    XO

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Blogger t~ said…

    I'm sorry to hear about Buffy's problems, my yellow lab is 5 and she acts sooo much older.

    I hope you get it all figured out and she can come home soon to you!

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger Kayce said…

    Hang in there Buffy! My girls send their love and good wishes!

     
  • At 3:27 PM, Blogger Buffy said…

    Poor Buff...

     
  • At 8:34 PM, Blogger Michelle said…

    Oh no! Poor Buffy! What a sad way to spend your birthday. I hope she's feeling better soon. My Doggie just turned thirteen. I honestly didn't think she would be with us this long, but I am so grateful for every single day we have with her. She it the best dog we have ever had.

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Oh Joannah - I'm sorry to hear about Buffy's problems. I completely relate to worrying about your fur baby. I hope she does well with her new regimen. Good luck.

    Shell

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Oh, and Happy BD Buffy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home