Friday, April 20, 2007

Rainy Days & Fridays

It's raining. It's pouring. The old man is snoring...

We have had the weirdest weather over the last couple of weeks. Lots of wind storms and now a powerful winter-like storm. It's been raining since before dawn, and I don't think it's going to let up anytime soon. Consequently, I spent all but 30 minutes indoors with my students today. Ugh! Also, my gardener hasn't come in three weeks and the yard is a mess from all the debris the wind picked up and threw down. And, because of the wind and rain I haven't had a walk in several days. I don't like this! It's supposed to be spring. I should be wearing capris and flip-flops instead of jeans and sweaters. It's just weird. I do like the sound of the rain falling on the roof, though. We've had a severe drought this winter and the moisture is needed. So I'll quit complaining.

On a more positive note, my students and their parents brought in flowers and a cake for me today to celebrate my graduation. I was so touched by their thoughtfulness. They were so supportive of me while I was still working on my program, and so excited for me once I completed it. My school community is very warm and supportive. I'm blessed to work where I do.

Tonight, I'm meeting up with Shelley and some of her friends to cook some healthy meals at Supper Thyme. I've been wanting to try this for a while now. I'll let you know how it goes. Have any of you tried any of these meal preparation places? If so, what did you think of your experience? Was the food good?

***********************************

Update: I cannot speak to the taste of the food, yet, but putting it all together at Supper Thyme last night was a breeze! I had five meals assembled and packed to go in about an hour. I would have been finished sooner, but that I had to wait for a couple of stations - no big deal. While we were cooking, the owner treated us to some beer bread and chicken chili, and Shelley brought a nice bottle of wine. It was a neat experience, and I can see doing it again. No clean up! Gotta love that!

11 Comments:

  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    The only thing I can say is, "April showers bring May flowers" That is the only positive about the rain that I can think of. I hope you dry out soon. (don't send it west okay?) :)

    What a wonderful surprise from your parents and students. That is so sweet.

    I have read about those dinner places. It sounds fun. Let us know how it goes.

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger redmaryjanes said…

    I love to have pre-prepared meals around that house that real fresh ingredients. Tim and I haven't gone for a while and we should return. It was so nice to come home from a crazy day and know exactly what we were having for dinner. You will love it!

     
  • At 8:22 AM, Blogger Kayce said…

    We're having the same weather up here, it's nice but getting old. Our forecast says 70's by Wednesday...there is hope! Have a great weekend.

    PS - Good job students!!!! Your teacher ROCKS!!

     
  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    The rain is a very, very, very good thing, Joannah! We need more up here. I'm hoping for some this weekend as I planted my veggies last weekend!!

    THe supper thing sounded like a lot of fun. I looked in on one called "Super Suppers" & it looked like a LOT of food - like for a big family. Can you do smaller sized portions? Besides, I didn't like the "menu" - lots of meaty stuff & I'm more on the veggie side of things. The process sounds fun, though. Let us know how you like the taste....

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Pixel Fairy Princess said…

    Maybe you came blow a little rain our way :D

    Wow, the diner thing sounds cool and I went to their website - thanks for linking it! Love the no clean up part!

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger Jewels of My Heart said…

    I hope you have a sun shiney day! That was so sweet of your students and their families. And the Supper Thyme sounds like a blast!
    Bon Appetite!

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    I live in the rain forested moss encrusted city of Vancouver. And I have to say I really love the rain. But I have no choice but to love it living here. Walks in the rain are so refreshing and they smell wonderful. it's so good to come back in a shed your boots for a hot cup of something soothing afterwards. I recommend it.

     
  • At 8:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    We had to drive to Newport Beach in that rain and then went out on the harbor and the rain stopped just in time!
    I *love* Dream Dinners which sounds the same as the one you went to.
    Your class sounds wonderful.

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    "Rain, rain, go away!"

    That Supper Thyme sounds like a great place. Really unique and probably very helpful.

    Sounds like a great school community for sure.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    You always do the neatest things! You must feel so loved by your students and their parents- a reflection of what a great teacher you are!

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Blogger Shandra said…

    We have had bad storms here. Tornados last night and 10 inches of rain. YUCK! Too much at once.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home