Friday, June 08, 2007

Boot Camp - Week #1


Tonight I will complete my first week of bootcamp. It's been challenging, but it's also surprisingly fun! I have been befriended by another bootcamper who is also a teacher. She has the gift of gab, and talks to me almost non-stop the whole class. This is a wonderful distraction for me! I just listen and make a few comments whenever I can - between gasps for breath. Hanging with her really helps pass the time and keeps my mind off of my suffering. Ha!

I have already noticed an increase in my upper body strength. The first night of class I couldn't do the plank position (see below). But last night both my new friend and I realized that we were now able to hold the position much longer than before.


The only thing I really don't like is the running, and we start of every session with a run. As my sweetie reminds me every time I complain about it, I am not a runner... He's right. I have never liked running, and my knees don't like it either. However, I do try to push myself to run a little further every night. My plan is to run as far as the restrooms tonight. How's that for a goal? ;-)

Anyway, I'm enjoying myself so much and feeling so good that I'm even seriously considering signing up for their next session in July! Am I crazy, or what?

18 Comments:

  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    It sounds fun! I am glad you are enjoying it. How can your new friend talk that much and breathe? She must be in good shape.

    Go For It!! :)

     
  • At 6:00 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said…

    I'm so envious that you have the will to do this.. I need to get my butt in gear and get moving...

    Kepp it up!!! :o)

     
  • At 6:39 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Hey that's GREAT! I can't do the plank either. Hurts my back.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    I'm not a runner, either, but I ran a marathon because I told myself that I could...basically, that I had to.

    We can do amazing things.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger kitchu said…

    YOU are amazing, and you're motivating me, and I so wish I had something like this here... and I want to do that plank thing dang it!

     
  • At 3:50 AM, Blogger Pixel Fairy Princess said…

    I think I want to do boot camp! I have never had upper body strength and I have always wanted it! Is it a national program or something local?

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Blogger Anne Marie said…

    Distraction is absolutely the key! Precisely why I have my iPOD on the whooollle time I do any exercise -- if I don't hear how hard I'm breathing, maybe it won't register!

    I still don't enjoy exercise (with the exception of hiking which I almost never get to do), but I LOVE how I feel afterward.

    Go, Joannah!

     
  • At 1:20 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    The plank IS really tough- sounds like you're progressing well! I'm with you, I'm not a runner, but I applaud you for trying!

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    I wish we had a bootcamp here. The closest is Mclean Va. Way to go!

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger redmaryjanes said…

    I think that is excellent!! Good for you!

     
  • At 10:59 PM, Blogger Elise said…

    You go girl!!!!

     
  • At 7:09 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Bless your heart. But you are crazy girl. :)

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    It sounds awesome! Hang in there, tough woman :0)

     
  • At 6:20 PM, Blogger Pam said…

    That is great that you are getting stronger. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    how brilliant that you are doing this! my goodness, what a strong woman you must be!!!

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    that does sound fun, what a cool thing..Im impressed!

     
  • At 5:54 PM, Blogger Glinda said…

    Well, you're doing better than I would; I don't even know how to do a plank; that's the first time I've ever seen it.

    Misery loves company and I'm so glad you have some because what you're doing will only increase your stamina when your sweet Jillian arrives--by then you should be up to running the Boston Maraton, you know the one in 2012!

    P.S. Loved the picture of the little bug in previous post.

     
  • At 5:17 PM, Blogger Alyson and Ford said…

    Wow, such a great program... I guess I will google it and see what comes up in our area...

    Alyson
    LID 01/27/06

     

Post a Comment

<< Home