Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Greetings from Haena


We arrived in Haena, Kauai yesterday afternoon. My parents and I had a lovely drive up the coast from the airport to the community of Haena. We took in the lush vegetation and amazing ocean views along the way. We gleefully explored our rental house upon arrival. It is just like something on HGTV! Every room has been beautifully decorated. The ginormous kitchen is fully stocked with all kinds of small appliances and nice cookware. The beds have excellent mattresses and nice linens. The master bathroom is about the same size as my bedroom at home! We're just living in the lap of luxury. I'm thrilled!

It was very warm all afternoon and evening, but the rain let loose very early in the morning before the sun rose. It rained hard for a while and then it became partially cloudy around breakfast time. For breakfast, I prepared for my family (with a little help from Mom and Julie) papaya with lemon juice, and Portuguese sausage, rice and eggs. My sweetie was born here in Hawaii. He is teaching me what he knows about traditional Hawaiian and Filipino foods, and I'm sharing what I've learned with my family while we're here. My BIL isn't a big fan of papaya, but he LOVED it with the lemon juice drizzled over the top.

A two minute walk across the street and down a little path takes you to this beach:

Don't you just love the color of that water?

I'm so glad I brought along my laptop and my wireless thing-a-ma-bob. My BIL and I are able to feed out Internet addictions! LOL! And I was able to Skype my sweetie, and my grandmother this morning. It's good to keep in touch. This vacation could only be more perfect if the two of them were here with us.

Oh, too funny! My whole family just went down to the beach for a swim, and now it's pouring rain! I'm glad I decided to hang out here for a little quiet time.

More later...

Aloha!

22 Comments:

  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger redmaryjanes said…

    Have a wonderful time and get out there on the beach!

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger Special K said…

    Wow...that beach really is breathtaking. Do share some pics of the beautiful house. I'd love to see.

    Enjoy your vacation.

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger 4D said…

    That is tremendous! Such beauty. Enjoy!

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 1:30 PM, Blogger kitchu said…

    You are in paradise and we area all green with envy! Gorgeous photo!

     
  • At 2:22 PM, Blogger A said…

    Wow wee!! How gorgeous!! Have a great time!

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said…

    Have a wonderful vacation!! Looks amazing..

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger Johnny said…

    Good lord! That's the general area where we stayed 2 years ago!

    Do you have to cross something like 12-14 single lane car bridges to get to the house? If so, that's where we were!

     
  • At 4:08 PM, Blogger Joannah said…

    Johnny, you are correct! Those bridges are something else.

     
  • At 4:25 PM, Blogger Kayce said…

    Oh me oh my! It's been tooooo long since I was there! You must
    experience Queen's Pond at Polihale State Beach. It's near the Napali. Queen's Pond, a small, encircled reef area safe for swimming and protected from normal wave action. Go at low tide, so you can go swimming in it!

     
  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Two Kayaks said…

    You have such a beautiful way with words, Joannah! I can almost feel the wind lapping at my face and the heat against my skin. The picture of the beach is so incredible. No wonder you are having such a lovely time.

     
  • At 4:59 PM, Blogger Pixel Fairy Princess said…

    That is a breathtaking view ~ enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

     
  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    Have a wonderful time...those photos are simply amazing. Would love to make that trip at some point in my life!

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Beautiful! Aloha, you. You can make me breakfast any ol' time...but in Hawaii it would be the sweetest! Enjoy every moment - even the showers. XO

     
  • At 7:54 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Looks like heaven :) Take lots of pictures!

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    How fun and gorgeous! Oh, just let it soak in so you can sneak back there in your mind during those upcoming teacher inservices, LOL!
    I learned about lemon juice over papaya in Thailand...it is so yum! I need to try that recipe!

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    Okay, I am officially jealous.

    Enjoy that beautiful time there.

     
  • At 8:23 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Paradise! So glad you're enjoying yourselves.

    Shell

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Oh- I'm getting homesick for Hawaii now! It is super have your laptop on vacation, Make sure you take it to China to, Skype will really come in handy there.

     
  • At 8:39 PM, Blogger Eliza2006 said…

    I love Hawaii! Enjoy!

    Tiffany

     
  • At 7:23 AM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said…

    Wah! I want to be there! We go almost every summer but of course didn't this year thinking we would be in China--ha! Oh well. Glad you can enjoy it! :)

    I love the sun showers there!

    Have the BEST time and I'll see you next weekend! :)

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    GORGEOUS! I'm ready to go NOW! Hope you continue to have a fabulous time!

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Blogger Shannon said…

    What an amazing holiday! Gorgeous water and surroundings. Enjoy every moment.
    LOVE the papaya with lemon-my favorite fruit!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home