Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Beautiful!

Northern California is so beautiful! I just got back from a quick trip to the wine country with my sweetie, Michael. I wish I could have spent the whole week up there, but I had to report to summer school this morning. Sigh...

We stayed along the Russian River under the Redwood trees. There is nothing like a drive down a two-lane road, with the river running alongside the road, and the Redwoods forming a canopy above. Sure beats driving down the 405, let me tell you!

We did a little wine tasting - sparkling wine and pinot noir - our favorites. We visited Domaine Carneros, seen below. I particularly liked this winery because the building reminded me of some of the chateaus I saw in France. In fact, this is Tattinger's (a French champagne house) USA endeavor. We sat out on one of the balconies sipping our samples and gnoshing on cheese and crackers. Yum! The service here was top-notch, too.

The same day we visited Domaine Carneros, we also tried to visit Domaine Chandon, but when we arrived we were told they were closed due "technical difficulties". How technical is it to open a bottle of champagne - I mean sparkling wine? Nevertheless, we managed to return the following day and weren't turned away again. The grounds here were lush and beautiful. We enjoyed a sampling of three of their many sparkling wines and another cheese plate. I wish I could drink champange more often. It's fun! ;-)

We also enjoyed two gourmet dinners while we were away. The food and wines in this area are excellent. It's hard to have a bad meal! We even came across a Farmers Market on our first day, and we couldn't resist the beautiful produce. So, we stocked up on oranges, peaches, nectarines, plums, and cherries. We purchased much more than we could consume in such a short time, and so on the way back we donated what we had left to a sweet lady who was down on her luck near the airport. She was very appreciative, and we felt good knowing she'd be eating something healthy and fresh.

It was so good to be away - to see and taste nature's beauty, to rest and relax, to talk and plan, to laugh and be carefree. We spoke hypothetically about living up in the wine country. I'm afraid that will only happen if one of us wins the lottery, but it was fun to talk about. I do know that spending time up there is something I want to do more often, though. It's just a beautiful place to be.

24 Comments:

  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger AprilMay said…

    I love visiting Napa...whenever I go see my sister (Danville) her husband drives us up there and indulges us whilst we indulge in a wee bit of wine tasting...all day, LOL!!

    How was your first day of summer school?

     
  • At 5:42 PM, Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said…

    I love wine tasting. We don't do it as much as we could, being so close (those darn kids!) Looks like a great time...

     
  • At 6:02 PM, Blogger C's Mom said…

    What a beautiful time away! Glad it was so wonderful for you.

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Sugar Cookies And Hope said…

    Are you trying to hurt me? LOL
    I sooo want to go to SF, but the airlines costs are not cooperating with us. Sigh...it sounds beautiful, though!

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Blogger D said…

    I've never been to Northern California...you're definitely making me want to, though!

     
  • At 6:33 PM, Blogger Abby's Mom said…

    Sounds like the perfect break and a great way to start off your summer :)

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Terri | Sugar Free Glow said…

    When I turned 21 my parents took me to the wine country and we celebrated my birthday at Domaine Chandon. I *love* the wine country!

    Glad you had fun!

     
  • At 8:10 PM, Blogger Tammy said…

    Sounds heavenly. Your description makes me want to visit.

     
  • At 12:13 AM, Blogger Elise said…

    Sounds wonderful...glad you had such a great time!!!!

     
  • At 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds heavenly!!
    Stephanie
    forks&chopsticks

     
  • At 4:55 AM, Blogger Mariah said…

    What a beautiful trip..you deserve it!!

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger Shelley said…

    Oh, you lucky duck. I so miss living up there. Such pure beauty, is right. That area is CA at it's best in my opinion. I remember sipping champagne and eating on the terrace with my roomies at the Chandon winery. What a great time.

    So glad you and your honey got to get away and have some fun.

     
  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger wzgirl said…

    Becoming an innkeeper/winegrower/artisan in the wine country is one of my fave fantasies. It is idyllic, isn't it? Sounds like you had the best time & I'm happy for you two! We are thinking of checking out your place for a July getaway......those cottages are cuuute!

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Blogger Polar Bear said…

    What an amazing time away! It looks just beautiful!

    Have a great summer school session!

     
  • At 8:20 AM, Blogger kitchu said…

    Sounds (and looks) like time spent in paradise!

     
  • At 11:23 AM, Blogger 4D said…

    Looks and sounds amazing!!!

    Beautiful pics. And you are so caring of others.

    Keep smilin!

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said…

    Wow that looks so beautiful.
    For a spell hubby and I moved to wine country. A vineyard for neighbours. Loved it but not the air connons in the summer.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger Tamara said…

    Your post is so descriptive I almost felt like I was there. Sounds like a very romantic week end and you even managed a random act of kindness.

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Special K said…

    That looks like a dream. I'd love to do something like that. Lucky girl you.... and how romantic to go with your sweetie. :)

     
  • At 7:01 PM, Blogger redmaryjanes said…

    How beautiful. In my book, that would be a perfect day.

     
  • At 7:08 PM, Blogger ~Kristen said…

    What a wonderful way to spend time away. I LOVE wine country....

    Glad you had such a wonderful time with Michael in a beautiful place!!!

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger t~ said…

    Wow! That looks and sounds so beautiful and relaxing!

    Glad you enjoyed yourself!

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Calico Sky said…

    BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

    WOW!

     
  • At 7:08 AM, Blogger Anne Marie said…

    Wow! I feel refreshed just reading your post! Sounds like the perfect romantic weekend.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home